MicrosftsoftSoftwareswap subreddit, anyone use this?

xoiio

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
This section seems a bit more general purpose, so posting this here.

So, I just found out about the microsoft software swap subreddit, and it seems interesting, potentially fishy, mainly due to how they locked it down, though I suppose blocking out potential scam artists is good.

Going through the comments there are a decent amount of 1 year+ people who left comments, but quite a lot that have only been around a few months, or less too.

It seems like a nice chance to be able to get a real windows server license instead of using an activator to be able to experiment with a server OS, but it seems that yes, these keys work for an install, but you might not know how long they would work. I can't afford several hundred dollars for a license like you usually see on ebay, and yes an activator does work, but having a legit copy would be even better.

I figure maybe it's people that work in the tech area, and grab keys off of decommissioned machines.

Several sellers seem to not use paypal too, maybe as some sort of insurance in case they do plan on ripping people off, though at least one does (and in searching for this very subject he seems to be recommended).

I just want to hear from some people that have had longer term experience, and see if they had any issues come up.

It would seem like maybe it would be good to call microsoft and get them to verify the key after getting it, that way if there is an issue I could get a paypal refund, but I don't even know if microsoft has a number for that. (the only thing I can think of is over the phone activation and going through a support person)

Solution

xoiio

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Whoops, didn't notice that typo.

Anyways, yes, I know that those retailers will have essentially 100% guaranteed to work licenses, but you can also move licenses around, provided that they aren't in use on multiple machines (which is another thing, these sellers might recycle them on a long period perhaps), so it would technically be a valid license, though that's only if they actually proper licenses, and not something like a windows server volume license.

I think I saw it mentioned that they might have some sort of MSDN partnership as well, and they sell keys from that possibly, although they aren't supposed to, not sure, still doing research.

I'm not even sure if windows server actually even has product key stickers, never seen one on any of the servers I've seen.

USAFRet

Illustrious
MSDN license keys are specifically NOT authorized for resale. Ever.
Same with what used to be Technet, or academic licenses. Not for resale.

This is where almost all of those come from. The rest come from purchases with stolen credit cards.

"Windows Server" does not come with license key stickers on the case.

If you need a Windows Server license (why?), you purchase a valid one. Buying one from some dude on that subreddit is not in any way 'valid'.
Similar for a regular Windows OS license. Or any other licensed software.

xoiio

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

I'm running actual server hardware, and want to be able to experiment and become familiar with a newer server operating system than 2008, even though that sort of IT job is a long way off for me, I still want to have at least some knowledge in advance.

USAFRet

Illustrious

You can download a valid, 180day(?) Eval, direct from Microsoft. Server 2012. Server 2016.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012

Don't feed the reddit pirates.

Solution

xoiio

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Oh wow, I didn't know that was a thing, pretty good test period too. I mean, it would be better if it was permanent, obviously.

Either way it will be a while until my hard drive caddies arrive.

USAFRet

Illustrious

And...you can rearm that 180 day, for another 180 days.