Microsoft: 1 Out of 14 Downloads is Malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

tychoblu

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Just fixed a computer that took me three weeks to rid of viruses. Then got a complaint that 2000 of the teenager's itune songs were missing. Didn't get a thanks for the 700 I saved.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
1 percent of IE9 users involved in the study clicked OK to download the suspicious file...just to spite the annoying Application Reputation filter! XD

G

or as i like to see it 13 out of 14 folks are plain stupid......

G

[citation][nom]tychoblu[/nom]Just fixed a computer that took me three weeks to rid of viruses. Then got a complaint that 2000 of the teenager's itune songs were missing. Didn't get a thanks for the 700 I saved.[/citation]

WOW, simple one there, remove HDD scan from stand alone Virus removal machine ( Fully Updated Windows 7 install within VM with all the bells and whistles for nasty Removals)

Once files clean Replace HDD or back up User files, and Re-Install Windows, 1 day max!

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Dang, it took Microsoft this long to add such a system? The Norton security software provided by Comcast had this since last year!

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Wow it is actually a PLEASURE to read comments here on Tom's. It seems like there still are a remnant of people in the world that have intelligence, a sense of responsibility, and common sense too. It gives me some renewed faith that humanity is not completely doomed.

I agree that 99% of preventing malware and virus infections is using your COMMON SENSE when browsing and down loading files from the net.

Sure it isn't kewl to say it today, but LEARNING and EDUCATION is GOOD.

zkevwlu

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
1 out of 14 people is a moron who thinks videos and music might come in the form of an .exe file and clicks on that flashy button that says "Download Free Paris Hitlon Sex Tape Now!!".

People like that deserves to have their computers wrecked. I wish companies would stop implementing security features that enables ignorance and stupidity. Without that safety net maybe people will finally start to think twice before wandering onto the Internet like headless chickens.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
14 out of 14 people STILL RUN AS ADMIN!

Come on guys and gals, when fixing these machines, give them back the shiny thing with two accounts, one called security (with password) and one account called 'family' (etc, with password). Security account is full admin and Family is a standard user. They will still infect themselves but at LEAST it's another easy to setup, obvious option.

You run as admin, so does anything else you click on. "Warning, your pc is infected, click yes to trash your pc, even though you've heard about it, read about it, seen it, still click yes"

Sigh

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]14 out of 14 people STILL RUN AS ADMIN![/citation]

We don't have a choice!

When you're working with Autodesk or other poorly designed software you have to run as admin to have a chance of success. It's even worse with stuff like omron software or small volume stuff from local companies, but still. Long's developers aren't thinking ahead, we're stuck in elevated mode with local admin rights.

I mean at least 400 of the systems I'm supporting have a GPO forcing Interactive into the builtin\administrators group just to make sure as few things as possible fail.

( and if sh1t fucks up we just F12 and redeploy )

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
@neiroatopelcc: I'm in the same boat and have quite an aggresive GP set for the users here as I CANNOT STAND the way these things are made. Heck, we didn't have java installed until the latest version of Syspro (A program that won't work with UAC at all) arrived.

When I ususally go on about not running as admin, I'm really talking about home users. We're behind hefty firewalls and crazy virus apps in business while home users are sitting there clicking on anything and everything. Damn shame.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
We've been dependant on java for years. Since 1.5 really. Half of our administrative software depends on it really.
Anyway, at home it's simply because people are lazy. But I'm running as admin myself. Hell even my minecraft server's running as builtin\administrator ...

Security is useful, but you get futher with intuition than security measures.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I run as admin because the Synergy software does not work else.
It opens, yes; it connects, yes; it commands the mouse and keyboard, yes; but when another program pops in, whatever program, the mouse disappears if not running as admin. Seems without admin, synergy links the focus to only the current window.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]tychoblu[/nom]Just fixed a computer that took me three weeks to rid of viruses. Then got a complaint that 2000 of the teenager's itune songs were missing. Didn't get a thanks for the 700 I saved.[/citation]

Wow you suck.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007

Dude, you need to fire your instructor and find a new one. You will make others laugh here.

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Your entire account does not need to be admin to run your software. You can give individual apps/shortcuts admin rights. Seems like some people learn only enough about security to make them dangerous.
Yes I'm an offender as well, some of my machines run as full admin because I'm the only one that uses said machine. All others get limited accounts. I think I'll be changing this though as malware is getting ridiculous these days.

I do think that computer illiterate people should not own a computer or at least not be allowed on the internet. I fix peoples computers install all security measures/anti-virus etc....and they bring it back a week later all jacked up again telling me "oh, it wouldn't let me do such and such so i disabled anti-virus!"

Anyway my complaining is done i hope the first part helps some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.