Microsoft 1st, Sony Last in Holiday Console Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
It boils down to the fact that MS did a brilliant job in marketing. Sony wasn't bad--they've sold quite a few Move consoles, but MS successfully convinced consumers that theirs was the one you "had to buy". As to which one is better, or has more potential...? Not sure yet. I don't own either.

And back to your regularly scheduled console flamewars.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
This proves, at least once, that Microsoft can be somewhat original. Not 100%, becasue the Wii started this new era of alternative controls methods, but still, Microsoft took a risk here. Sony is in trouble because people see their product as just a minor improvement over the Wii. And most people who want that kind of control already have a Wii.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Congrats go to Microsoft for selling the 360 + Kinect for cheaper than a playstation + move.

Congrats also go to microsoft for targeting the K-5 age group with the kinect with it's Kinectimals ad showing 15-1 against it's other kinect adds.

Meanwhile Sony just show's that epic street fighting game along with... was it killzone? I mean COME ON!

Sony WTF fail?!?! You don't show someone wailing on someone else when your tryingto sell a KIDS product! You had a product that was just as good if not currently better than Kinect (having played with both, Move is just better, maybe if Microsoft gets the Kinect to stop randomly spazzing during less than ideal situations) and you ****** the pooch with your advertising campaign, AGAIN!

This is why Sony's failing, they just CANT get it right when it comes to advertisements.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i disagree on the marketing statment. the kinect is motion without a conrtol which is just.. better, i've tried both ou tand plan on getting a kinect wehn i can find one on the shelf or online without having to go above msrp or buyign a new 360 just to get the kinect

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Well, Kinect did sell a lot more than Move and it is mainly due to the marketing. Kinect isn't very good at capturing motions in fast paced games, but that is all technical nitty gritty that consumers don't get into, unless they actually experience it. In nutshell, MS 1, SONY 0.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I couldn't careless about either of the new motion gizmos. Gran Turismo 5 was just released, so I finally went out and bought a PS3. The games matter the most. Didn't hurt that I picked up a free blu-ray player in the process.

cser

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
The problem with Sony is that kids ask for video games for Christmas, but the Ps3 has no games.

G

Sony went awry because the "Move" is basically an exact copy of the Wii, which most people already have. Microsoft actually came up with something different, and most people I know also already have a 360 next to their Wii, so it just requires a new peripheral. I'm sure "Move" did a lot better in Japan, however.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]This proves, at least once, that Microsoft can be somewhat original. Not 100%, becasue the Wii started this new era of alternative controls methods, but still, Microsoft took a risk here. Sony is in trouble because people see their product as just a minor improvement over the Wii. And most people who want that kind of control already have a Wii.[/citation]

The first part of this is not true. Microsoft actually showcased a motion sensing game for the original Xbox in the movie The Island. Granted it was still essentially just an idea, and it was only shown through a scene in a movie, but it was still Microsoft's idea before the Wii existed.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]The Article[/nom]This of course begs the question...[/citation]

No, it doesn't. Sony's relatively poor holiday sales raises the question of why that is the case, but it does not "beg the question." Ought to learn what that phrase means, rather than just throwing it out there because it sounds cool.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]It boils down to the fact that MS did a brilliant job in marketing. Sony wasn't bad--they've sold quite a few Move consoles, but MS successfully convinced consumers that theirs was the one you "had to buy". As to which one is better, or has more potential...? Not sure yet. I don't own either.And back to your regularly scheduled console flamewars.[/citation]
no ur not that superior

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]The first part of this is not true. Microsoft actually showcased a motion sensing game for the original Xbox in the movie The Island. Granted it was still essentially just an idea, and it was only shown through a scene in a movie, but it was still Microsoft's idea before the Wii existed.[/citation]

Believe it or not, the concept of the Wii controller did not originate on the day the console was released. It was in development for years in advance of the release. Additionally, Nintendo released the Power Glove in the late 80's, which was a rudimentary motion controller. Sega also had the Activator in the early 90's. Both over a decade before MS released a console.

G

Well, Microsoft maybe won November, but i'm pretty sure that the wii will have more sales than Microdoft's Xbox 360

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]This proves, at least once, that Microsoft can be somewhat original. Not 100%, becasue the Wii started this new era of alternative controls methods, but still, Microsoft took a risk here. Sony is in trouble because people see their product as just a minor improvement over the Wii. And most people who want that kind of control already have a Wii.[/citation]
Nothing is original. :)

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]andy va[/nom]Well, Microsoft maybe won November[/citation]

And October, and September, and August, and July, and June...

[citation][nom]andy va[/nom]but i'm pretty sure that the wii will have more sales than Microdoft's Xbox 360[/citation]

Based on what? If you read the article, you'd see that November is the sixth consecutive month that the 360 has been the top-selling console. What reason do you have to suspect that trend will change in the biggest retail month of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.