Microsoft and Nokia to Spend Millions on Special AppCampus

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I wish nothing but the best for Windows phone. I loved Nokia phones back when I had them, and I enjoy using Windows-based devices, but the lack of apps is really killing them. This seems like a good idea to help catch up their app development, hopefully they become a true competitor as a result.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Only reason MS can even attempt to 'catch up' is because it is fortunate enough to have the funds to do so. Apple over a course of a decade has built the infrastructure it enjoys today for its developers and consumers. Apple also developed the blue print of the App market so that will automatically reduce costs otherwise would have been used to come up with the idea in the first place. MS can accelerate the process and hopefully be competitive because that will eventually favor the consumers.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
[citation][nom]schwizer[/nom]Maybe they shouldn't charge $100 for a developer account to submit apps on WP7?[/citation]

Isn't that Apple? I have a developer account, but maybe because I set it up as a student it's free? I don't know.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]Windows 7 phone, awesome... Symbian.... give me a break already.[/citation]The continued support of Symbian is interesting. I can't tell if it is being used as a backup plan if their WP7 investment fails or if it's just because feature phones can't handle even a stripped=down WP7. I was really surprised about Symbian being used in their high-resolution camera phone.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Only reason MS can even attempt to 'catch up' is because it is fortunate enough to have the funds to do so. Apple over a course of a decade has built the infrastructure it enjoys today for its developers and consumers. Apple also developed the blue print of the App market so that will automatically reduce costs otherwise would have been used to come up with the idea in the first place. MS can accelerate the process and hopefully be competitive because that will eventually favor the consumers.[/citation]
Nokia had an app market for the Ncage before Apple btw.

G

In the beginning, the best mouse trap makes the beaten path.
Then the beaten path is deemed to make the best mouse trap.
Soon, perceived goodness replaces actual goodness, and actual goodness itself no longer seems to matter.
Don't bother us then with the facts.
We are quite content in the prevalent fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.