Microsoft and Time Warner Cable Announce Xbox 360 Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
*light bulb* Here's something new you should try, a console that plays games. I don't need a new set top box. Wait I don't play console games anyway, Why am I even here? I've turned into a troll.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
So instead of watching Time Warner on your TV like normal, you can buy an Xbox and consume your internet bandwidth to watch it. Brilliant.

iamadev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
@anomaly - Welcome to the world of tomorrow.

It really is crazy how many companies are starting to push for IPTV yet ISPs still want to limit bandwidth. Luckily I will be getting unlimited (no FUP) in a week or so so I can start to really enjoy my Netflix without always thinking about my usage.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
TWC already offers viewing on most devices - iPads, iPhones, PCs, whatever. So this doesn't seem like a big deal to me; if anything, it means one fewer CableCard-enabled devices I need to rent (whether cards, STBs, or whatever). BW-wise, TWC is also my ISP so they are trading one DSV channel for a corresponding increase in internet traffic. That allows them to spread their DSV channels across a wider market segment, or offer more DSV channels. I don't have a problem with this.

What I DO have a potential problem with is that now the cable provider - who is also the ISP - knows what I watch, when I watch it, and even on what kind of device. This means more targeted adds, and more split-offs of high-rating content in separate packages so that I have to pay more to get the things I want to watch instead of just the crap they send everyone.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
If I had Time Warner, this would actually save me about $60 a year in STB rental fees. More if you use an HD box. Heck, if there was a similar deal with FiOS I'd be all over it.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
My cable box from Time Warner is the worst piece of trash... ever. If they offer the ability for the Xbox one to either overlay over the existing one then I will get the new XB in a heartbeat. While as stated below TW does let you watch on a variety of devices - for your TV you are stick with the steaming pile of a box they force you into. If you go cablecard to escape 25% of the channels don't work. The XB sounds like a great solution if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
abdabra Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
L Streaming Video & TVs 3
chilly601 Streaming Video & TVs 2
L Streaming Video & TVs 3
Marshall Honorof Streaming Video & TVs 1
Marshall Honorof Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 0