Microsoft Announces New Xbox 360 Kinect Bundle

Status
Not open for further replies.

haramir

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I got my xbox 360 shortly after launch. Just before the 3 year mark, it red-ringed and I was able to get it repaired under their "Oops we messed up on this design" extended warranty. Now, it looks like it may be on its death bead once more so the thought of a package deal is becoming more appealing. I've already plopped down some money on pre-ordering a Kinect at a local Gamestop... but perhaps I should upgrade the pre-order to include a new 360 bundle as well?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Im not bashing the Kinect here but... Is anyone else getting tired of MS creating all these differnt bundels: Arcade, Basic, Elite, Xbox Slim, Holiday Packs, and now Kinect. Sure a few hold out buyers sometimes get a great deal and other times you wonder what MS is thinking when they do this kind of stuff, because mostly all you manage to do is dissapoint early adopters or average buyers that picked up an Xbox at an "unfortunate" time.

Really all im asking for is some compassion twards your cutomers, why not give a discount for people that already own a system or who want to upgrade? Instead of milking them dry then leaving out cold when you release your next surprise/update/new model/bundel.

G

I have two 360s and the first edition got red ringed but it was repaired by microsoft, and I am honestly dying to get my hands on the Kinect

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
rather upgrade mobo, ram and cpu for that price.
Bundling and outdated system with new bells and whistles is still an outdated system.
Give me a keyboard mouse and cross platform pc/console compatibility.. and i will think about it.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I guess people are really invested in the 360 to continue purchasing new ones. "Yeah, I had 3 360's RROD on my, Microsoft replaced 2, but I'll be more than happy to give them another $400 for a Kindle Bundle".

Seriously, my NES is still going strong (with some persuasion applied to the cartridge slot). I really don't think I'd bother replacing a console that died after a couple years, I'd just gamestop my old games and move on.

Besides, if anyone honestly thinks Microsoft will wait until 2015 to release their next console, you're kidding yourself.

haramir

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
System upgrades don't make sense unless you are creating a new console. After all, game designers couldn't optimize their games to the improved hardware because then the older systems wouldn't be able to handle it. As for cross-platform, that's a novel ideal but in practice, I don't think the payoff is worth it right now.

Say what you will, Microsoft has a great console and the Kinect is a novel new idea that sounds really fun to me, my wife, and my kids. I love hardcore games as much as the next guy, but I have a Wii too for the silly ones as well. My PS3 is not much more than a glorified Blue-Ray player, so all the *real* gaming is done on the 360.

While I agree that some sort of incentive for past owners is a good idea, I suppose you could just as easily go to a game shop and trade in your old hardware for a few bucks towards a new console or package.

I lost my train of thought, sorry about the babbling! :)

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
I want the Kinect toy and I don't have an XBox at home. So the bundle is good for me.
My family will like this purchase!

my only concern: is there any Skype app for XBox which can use this camera? it will be really good :)

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Might be interesting after some of the less casual games come out. Still, I barely use my 360 and I only have 2 games with it. The Kinect sounds like an interesting idea, but not if I can't get any games for it. It doesn't help that the only really good console RPG to come out in the last few years is Lost Odyssey. Nothing else since then, and the entire console RPG market has gone down the tubes since FF12 came out. Its even worse when you think that my PS3 is getting more use from the old Sega Genesis collection and Shining Force 1 & 2, and PHantasy Star 2-4.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Well, they are launching all these bundles as if they are new consoles. It has been 5 years since they have been dragging that old hardware. This slows down the console industry in terms of visual improvements which has impact on the PC market as well.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kohvitass[/nom]so will it automatically block players that look gay also?...[/citation]
To use this thing you have to prance around your living room waving your arms around...
Yep...
That would look pretty gay

zarko90

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Well, they are launching all these bundles as if they are new consoles. It has been 5 years since they have been dragging that old hardware. This slows down the console industry in terms of visual improvements which has impact on the PC market as well.[/citation]

Uhm, no it actually doesn't. Visual improvements on the computer are largely due to the advance of ATI/Nvidia (the main two competitors on the graphics card market) and developers who push the envelope of increasingly complex and resource-heavy graphics engine that power their games. Companies like Crytek that continually provide us with powerful benchmarks with which to compare graphics and computational processing power.

I don't think consoles have any bearing on the PC side. If anything, the rate of PC graphics tends to influence just how much the console-makers need to put into their newest hardware each time a new generation is being developed.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
That bundle doesnt sound interesting especially when the halo edition goes for the same price with two controlers and a surely wicked game...throw in two additional games then it'll be worth it...i've had four 360 rrod on me one the same day and had to give up years of gameplay because i studied in paris (yes ms people do travel outside the states)...somethimes i want to shoot myself in the foot cuz its retarded buying a defective product over and over but hey thers nuthin better imo (loved the first ps but i got big hands i cant stand the remote of ps2 and 3)...oh and due to location i couldnt send my xbox for repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.