Microsoft Announces Two New Cell Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
What is Microsoft adding to the market here, exactly?

Is this the answer to the iPhone? You know, the phone that had the least features of any other smartphone on the market, but because of a great UI and a great marketing campaign, to go along with an app store, became the main smartphone in America?... ... ...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Fire the design team. Kin Two lacks any originality what-so-ever and the Kin One is quite possibly the worst phone design I have ever seen. Then fire whoever was tasked with coming up with the name. Kin? One/Two? And then fire whoever thought that the only thing consumers want to do with their phones is social media.

ravicai

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
At least it sounds like they've gotten enough backlash from users over WM7 (namely, it's lack of features) that they've back pedaled and spent more time freshening the UI of WM6.5.

Who really knows at this point what the heck is going on at MS?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Naw, you have to keep that guy. Anyone who can convince a big corporation that doing something unoriginal and stupid is a good enough idea to make a production model off of is clearly HQ CEO material.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]What is Microsoft adding to the market here, exactly? Is this the answer to the iPhone? You know, the phone that had the least features of any other smartphone on the market, but because of a great UI and a great marketing campaign, to go along with an app store, became the main smartphone in America?... ... ...[/citation]

Could've swore the iphone's market share in the smart phone segment was not in the lead

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Looks like a pretty dumb phone marketed toward pretty dumb people. I really wish MS would have devoted these resources to making WP7 more feature complete at release. Maybe that way they would have had copy/paste and multitasking done in time. Unless these phones are free and come with discounted data-plans, I don't see a future for them.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]pojih[/nom]Could've swore the iphone's market share in the smart phone segment was not in the lead[/citation]

It's not but it's probably one of the more popular smartphone handsets. Blackberry is the leader in the smartphone segment by a health percentage but the sales are spread out among a lot of different handsets. I have a Blackberry Bold 9000 and although I see a lot of people with blackberries I don't see any particular model as often as I see the iPhone 3g.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I dunno, this looks perfect for the tween & teen crowd. I could see this taking off there.

Of course for those that are older and more into their gadgets, this probably wouldn't appeal, but I don't think they're trying to make it appeal to us anyway. We already have a myriad of devices, as well as their upcoming Windows Phone 7, to cover that demographic.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Well, honestly I hope this works for Microsoft. I remain flaccid toward either of these phones, but I hope they do well because of the Zune marketplace that it will be pushing, which in the end may sell more Zunes which I think are superior to the ipood. If it is targeted toward younger people, older people that want to feel hip but don't really know what they are buying may get one (soccer moms). That 5 and 8 mega-pixel camera also poos on most of the competition for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS