Microsoft Announcing 3D Plans 'Soon'

Status
Not open for further replies.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I really dont get this 3d craze thats sweeping the nation. Im not buying another flat screen just to play a game in 3d. I honestlly have no intrest in 3d right now. Maybe when tech improves and gets cheaper.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]I really dont get this 3d craze thats sweeping the nation. Im not buying another flat screen just to play a game in 3d. I honestlly have no intrest in 3d right now. Maybe when tech improves and gets cheaper.[/citation]
I agree if this fad continues into the next generation of my computer monitor or Tv purchase, then maybe ill look into 3D.

However i think 3D wont last that long, 3D is just a "cool" addition to media...nothing ground breaking that will continue on into the far future.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
It will only last if they make displays that produce very nice HD 3D images without having to wear glasses. Otherwise I think it will be a short lived fad.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
How is this good news? Game prices will increase, resources will be sucked into 3D bells/whistles rather than good design, and hardware requirements will be steeper.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I agree with the first post. Looking at 3D movie on a moderate 50" screen was not very exciting. I'm thinking 3D needs to be 70" and larger equivalent to really have that "WOW" factor. I'll probably sit out of 3DTV for a year or two.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]I really dont get this 3d craze thats sweeping the nation. Im not buying another flat screen just to play a game in 3d. I honestlly have no intrest in 3d right now. Maybe when tech improves and gets cheaper.[/citation]

That's the point though. They need to try commercial adoption to probe the waters to build up steam to eventually make it cheaper and improve the tech.

At least, that's what it seems they're doing to me. I know quite a few people who have gone out and purchased 3D capable hardware for the living room though.

dertoter

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
The way prices are looking, i don't think it's smart to invest in a new fad. Like most of the posts here, i'll def wait as well. From what i've seen, also, I really don't like the added 3d effect at least what's presented right now. It really doesn't seem worth it until the technology advances and the prices are more reasonable. Maybe one day :)

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Hope the 3D craze... will actually push down the price of the beautiful, nice, thin, 120/240Hz LED backlited LCD TV.

Let the rich people support the R&D of thise companies, so I can enjoy some quality products without costing me an arm and leg.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I feel the way a some others feel, I'm just totally not interested in 3-D, and also I feel like it's being shoved down our throats at this point. Yeah, it was cool as hell to watch Captain Eo at Disney World 20 years ago in 3-D, but it was done correctly (except for the hard plastic glasses). It looked like 3-D, not blurry, eye-aching, strain to "see it in 3-D" 3-D, the effects were within the proper context, not just arbitrarily thrown in, and here was none of that red/blue screen garbage. If they can't do for a reasonable price it w/o glasses, if it doesn't enhance the game or movie, and if it won't look right from multiple seating positions and viewing angles on a moderately sized tv (47" to 55") then I won't ever want to adopt.

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
So, basically, the xbox is already 3D capable. For a couple games. But we want them to say the console is capable! It's already capable but we want them to make a press release about it! Nrraggh!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]bearracuda[/nom]So, basically, the xbox is already 3D capable. For a couple games. But we want them to say the console is capable! It's already capable but we want them to make a press release about it! Nrraggh![/citation]
Yes. If they don't make a big fuss about 3D, the masses will probably think it's a PS3 exclusive feature.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Huh? Every new technology is expensive and marginally useful at the beginning. However as it goes through iterations and develops into a more mature product and gains more market penetration then all those who are saying never will be saying “let me get one.”

Personally I am not interested right now, and I would prefer a non-glasses form of 3D display. But this is how I handle just about any new tech. I do not buy the first or second generation and let the rich and crazy inhabit the bleeding edge. I do not see 3D as a fad at this point and am simply waiting for the technology to mature before I buy in. I only bought a HD LCD TV within the last year. I had a HD CRT TV before that and bought that late in the HD CRT cycle.

G

3D tech is in its infancy and has a lot of maturing to do. I also cringe at the whole "3D" bandwagon jumping at the moment, but having said that, it's important that enough consumers do invest in it and create incentive for research organisations to improve the tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.