Microsoft Band Review - A Smarter Fitness Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

gggggggg

Estimable
Nov 7, 2014
Nice article, but I have to disagree about the design. I find it pretty comfortable, all things considered. Also, having had the Microsoft Band for a few days now, I haven't had to charge it yet. I've gotten more than 48 hours out of it and the battery is still above 50%. I also have to mention that while I'm aware that I'm wearing the Band, I was never unaware with either of my FitBit trackers (the Flex and the Force). I would frequently snag both of them on clothing and band them on desks, doors, etc. The Band isn't nearly as bulky as most reviewers out there seem to want it to be. I find the clasp actually really nice, both in looks and function. You just push down to lock it in place. All in all, I'm loving it so far and can't wait to see what features they add!

Sean Leith

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014
I don't own one, but watches may clips, and tried out in Microsoft store. I feel the author is trying to find something to fill out the cons section. Like otherwise the article is not complete. I really don't agree with the design. I feel the design is very visually appealing, it's unconventional for sure, but that's the only way innovation coming in. It looks futuristic. I agree that it can be thinner, but considering what is inside, it's not anything to complain about.

dersto

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014
I agree that the band is a little thick, but this is a starting point for this kind of tech. It will only get slimmer in future iterations, and with so much functionality in the current model, the size is understandable, and not nearly a deal-breaker.

The real story here is Microsoft Health Vault. The band is only a physical representation, so it didn't have to be ground-breaking, but it still kinda was anyway.

I like that the writer said it isn't smart enough "yet," which implies an understanding that it will get better, and soon. It's a little out of character for Microsoft, traditionally speaking, but for them to offer a cross-platform database like this and open it up to the world is a fantastic way of ensuring success. When the Health Vault syncs with every device you have, regardless of manufacturer, and provides a secure way to manage you and your families' health data, the possibilities for increased efficiency of data transfer and analysis of gathered data are almost endless.

The Microsoft band is a cool gateway to a cool service, and the first 'fitness tracker' to actually interest me so far. Here's hoping it forces the competition to meet the challenge.

mhedman56

Estimable
Dec 17, 2014
I concur with nearly everything articulated by this reviewer, whose experience with the Band nearly matches my own. However, I have not found the Band to be bulky or uncomfortable to wear, but then I am a diver and am used to wearing dive computers, bottom timers and compasses on my wrist...now that's bulky! Actually, though, I think some of the bulkiness of the design is driven by the size of the dual batteries required to obtain the battery-life of a device with the features that the Band has. With the current battery size and placement, a curved display would not touch the skin of the wearer's wrist, unless the back was flat and the face curved outward. That would, however, further add to the bulk of the device. My guess is that we won't see a curved display until there is an improvement in battery technology.

I am a bit surprised that the display isn't more scratch resistant. I don't know if other similar wearables have more durable displays, but a device that is designed to be worn on the wrist during workouts should be made out of something other than the plastic/conventional glass that the Band seems to be. However, that would have, no doubt added to the cost for this first generation device. At any rate, although I typically don't like screen protectors, I have used one on my band, and don't even notice that it's there. I am surprised that my Band is showing little to no wear considering that I basically wear it 24/7, except when I'm charging it.

stiroe

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
So my question is with the workouts can I use it for something other than what is programmed into it? I have tried too many different bands and have yet to find one that does what I need or want, some do one thing and another does something else....but I'm looking for one for everything. This seems close so for $200 I hope it does. When I'm in the gym can I program in a workout that maybe it doesn't know and can it do more than just count reps, can it tell me my actions? When I run can it's GPS work solo without my phone (I hate carrying my phone on my long runs)?

Pete1233

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
Just curious but all the images show the band being worn on the top of the wrist while it should be worn at the bottom. Display facing down when typing on the keyboard. Wouldn't this affect accuracy and comfort?

Status
Not open for further replies.