Microsoft Bombs Antivirus Tests Yet Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Why did they test Microsoft Windows Defender. I use Microsoft Security Essentials with Defender disabled. I think Security Essentials works well enough for my needs.

NivenFres

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
In Windows 8, Defender and Security Essentials is all one package under the title Defender. Security Essentials is just for Windows 7 and earlier.

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Windows Defender and Security Essentials where merged for Windows 8.

The rating system here is questionable as it is performance and usability scores which can be subjective. I have seen PCs slow down with serious performance issues due to some higher end anti-virus software.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I work on PCs and do tons of scans. Most of those internet security programs slow the computer down, block local network traffic, block legit website certificates, etc. and the people are still loaded with adware and viruses. I like the Microsoft AV, I never get viruses, but then again I don't click on everything I see without reading.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Looks like Avira is best bet if you want a free antivirus. I like to have Online Armor installed alongside it for complete protection.

Virus.exe can't run unless I click 'allow', no matter how sneaky it is.

You also want to run Firefox with uBlock (NOT adblock), and NoScript.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
A: The top scorers are pay solutions. Not many free solutions.
B: I've had a professional beef with AV-TEST for quite a while. Their scores do not line up with what I've found or experienced.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014
The top scorers are pay solutions. Not many free solutions.

AV-TEST evaluates what the AV makers submit for evaluation. So if Avira submits its paid Antivirus Pro instead of its Antivirus Free, that's what gets written up. However, as the story says, Avira Free will protect you just as well as Avira Pro.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014
I have seen PCs slow down with serious performance issues due to some higher end anti-virus software.

Norton products used to be terrible for that. They've gotten much lighter in recent years, but I still prefer Bitdefender -- which is my entirely subjective opinion. Yes, I do pay for it.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014
Most of those internet security programs slow the computer down, block local network traffic, block legit website certificates, etc. and the people are still loaded with adware and viruses.

Many of these programs don't block adware, because it's not malicious, but just annoying. To deal with adware, run Malwarebytes or CCleaner -- which are NOT AV software and shouldn't be relied upon as such.

As for viruses and other malware, maybe the people are running free AV software.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
I have seen PCs slow down with serious performance issues due to some higher end anti-virus software.

Norton products used to be terrible for that. They've gotten much lighter in recent years, but I still prefer Bitdefender -- which is my entirely subjective opinion. Yes, I do pay for it.
The top scorers are pay solutions. Not many free solutions.

AV-TEST evaluates what the AV makers submit for evaluation. So if Avira submits its paid Antivirus Pro instead of its Antivirus Free, that's what gets written up. However, as the story says, Avira Free will protect you just as well as Avira Pro.

Like I said, the TOP scorers are pay solutions - note the top three are pay solutions. Avira is #4 - and I don't agree that the free solution is as good as the pay solution.

When providers give a version to test, there is far too much room for hiiinks to be played. There is a significant amount of controversy regarding AV-Test for this very reason.

I have a list of AV providers that are allowed on student machines on campus. Most of these providers are NOT on the list (and a couple that I'd like to take off the list) - it's funny how many professionals (including long-standing professionals) have never heard of half of these products. . .

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014
Like I said, the TOP scorers are pay solutions - note the top three are pay solutions. Avira is #4 - and I don't agree that the free solution is as good as the pay solution.

I have a list of AV providers that are allowed on student machines on campus. Most of these providers are NOT on the list (and a couple that I'd like to take off the list) - it's funny how many professionals (including long-standing professionals) have never heard of half of these products. . .

Qihoo 360 is No. 3, and it's free -- if you're in China. The Avira at No. 4 is not free.

Regarding the unnamed AV products you encounter on campus, they may be rogue AV products that try to scare people into paying for useless software, or they may not work at all. There's a lot of fake, useless stuff out there -- just search Google Play for "antivirus app" and you'll see what I mean.

dstarr3

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
I've been using Avast Free for years and I'm yet to have any viruses get through. I install it on all my clients' PCs before they go out the door. Just throwing that out there.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I hate to be the guy that says this, but, don't you feel like the title is.... I dunno. Misleading? Incorrect? Click-bait?

Maybe I'm crazy, but, it's built in defenses for the OS. If something scores LOWER, what would that even possibly mean?

In related news: Non-flavored gelatin considered ranks lowest in flavored gelatin rating. News at 10.

grant barker

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I've used Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials on their own for ages and never had problems. I also nowadays run them alongside a paid copy of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which doesn't find any problems, either.

I also recommend using AdBlock with your web browsers. That might well help a few related issues down the line, especially if you are new to computers, you hate pop-up windows, or you click on everything you see!

I recommend a paid security suite especially for newcomers to computers. My favourite paid security suite to have is Norton Security. I like the way it looks and feels, and have done for years in its different guises. I also run that alongside Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Nowadays Norton runs super smooth.

Microsoft simply includes Defender as `your first line of defense'. They don't sell it. It's free and included with Windows 8 - 10. They don't suggest not getting or replacing it with anything else.

These tests are interesting and useful I suppose. Although they're a little like taking an umbrella into a hurricane and complaining that the umbrella didn't work properly.

As a PC addict, Windows enthusiast and someone who is grateful and excited about Microsoft's role in our past, present and future, I find misleading titles to be a little wanting nowadays. I know we are all passionate about PCs and how we like to do our own things our way. But for newcomers - let's help them get the real picture shall we..

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
No mention of how many false positives the anti virus programs give, I would imagine that the table would be up sided down, also MSE scores the highest for useability, which is why I use MSE, hassle free and ease of use.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
I like the Microsoft AV, I never get viruses, but then again I don't click on everything I see without reading.
you fool, you have viruses its just that Microsoft AV isn't detecting them!
I used msse too, and i read these AV reviews, installed AVG free, and then found out how many viruses i actually had. Use in combination with spybot S&D and Malwarebytes for regular scans they pick up the leftovers. Also run a rootkit remover once in a while.

sam1275tom

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
These scores seems to be random... The Kaspersky should be No.1 and then Nod32, ALL CHINESE PRODUDTS ARE RUBBISH AND MUST DIE! You can get better "protection" with no AV, but don't use Chinese shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.