Microsoft Cuts Down Spam By 90 Percent

Status
Not open for further replies.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Whatever ever happened to the $.01 /email idea? Not that it sounds like the best idea in the world but during the big spam days of a few years ago.... it didn't sound so horrible.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]Well, there should be a tom campaign to bring down all those advertising spam :][/citation]

Especially against these new bots that post something like "Thank you for sharing!!! Very useful!!!" to gain member points.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I'm sure one of the major reasons spam has slowed down is perhaps due to the fact that people are more responsible and report it when they see it, allowing the systems in place to take action faster on what went through undetected in the first place and preventing it from getting further.

The bad part is that the junk still has to appear in some inbox before it is cleansed...

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
It will continue, one way or another, until all convicted spammers have their heads put in a bucket (to catch the mess) and someone pulls the trigger. The last thing they hear should be a fail horn and a game show host-style voice announcing GAME OVER. If that sounds harsh, then DON'T SPAM. Real easy. It isn't like someone can do it by accident, or in a fit of passion; it is deliberate wrongdoing, for which the world has way too much tolerance.

redhotbd

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
As long as the 2% of spam left doesn't have the words "Let's Facelift Bar!!!" in them... I really don't think I'll mind.

G

"Well, there should be a tom campaign to bring down all those advertising spam"

Firefox + Adblock + Noscript = Problem solved.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Adblocker[/nom]"Well, there should be a tom campaign to bring down all those advertising spam"Firefox + Adblock + Noscript = Problem solved.[/citation]

I have those. I'm referring to people who post jordans and other fake crap for sales. They fill the forum but there has been a good drop. I'm not stupid and are much aware of adblocker and noscript, thank you very much.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I'm surprised that the amount of time this article has been posted, not a single ad spam...yet.
hey I didn't see it before you said that. Indeed it is awesome to be able to read without scrolling down. ^^

G

Your grammar is bad, therefore, I figured you weren't the sharpest tool in the shed. However, if ESL, my apologies.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
I can confirm that Hotmail is good at blocking spam. Never get any in my Inbox, goes straight to junk and is deleted after a few days. However, I still look to see what it is. Usually from a company I bought something from online that I don't wish to hear from.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Spam is Spam, most thing about Spam is knowing why you have it in the first place.

This solves probably at least 50% or more of Spam. I would say anyways. Otherwise you are basically just blocking about everything. Or most things. And calling day "solved" . Idk.

Maybe ot that bad sometimes, makes you wonder though maybe sometimes, maybe not.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
It's Microsoft's crappy Operating Systems which allowed Spam to be so endemic throughout the internet. How many hijacked Windows PC's are used to deliver this plague?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
you can't add the 15% global spam reduction to the 75% hotmail outbound spam reduction to arrive at 90% spam reduction in the header. they refer to different things. i have a hotmail account for years and i've noticed significant spam reductions over the years. appreciate all the efforts microsoft put into reducing spams.

Status
Not open for further replies.