Microsoft Discussing Creation of Xbox TV Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
hmm i'm not so sure about this idea..if i were to watch TV only on my xbox, I have a feeling my xbox would be on a little longer than i want it to. I think I'm perfectly fine with paying what I pay now, and watching my standard TV channels.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
It would be good to see an alternative to cable and FIOS. If Microsoft could pull off an internet streamed cable solution with live TV, that would be one less bill to pay to another company. As it stands now, I watch Netflix and DVD on my 360.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Not worth it. I'm going to let my gold membership expire as it is. My craptacular(but cheap) internet connection cannot stream anything of a high enough quality to be enjoyable on my big screen anways. If I want to watch something I fire up the antenna. Why pay for something that's broadcast for free?

Ohh, and this would give MSFT even more marketing space on xbox live. 20% of it is already advertisements.

G

not gonna lie xbox live costs enough as it is, 3 years of live is like buying another xbox and thats a piss off as it is, let alone wii online and ps3 network is free so id like to see the price drop if anything

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
They already have this network called G4. Their programming sucks, what makes Microsoft think they can run a channel that only talks about games for one platform.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]xboxuser[/nom]not gonna lie xbox live costs enough as it is, 3 years of live is like buying another xbox and thats a piss off as it is, let alone wii online and ps3 network is free so id like to see the price drop if anything[/citation]

Huh? You can usually pick up one year subscription cards for ~$30-40.

Don't pay monthly, you get boned.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Sure I love nothing more than hearing a mini jet engine the entire time I watch tv /sarcasm.

I swear I love XBox live and I love how easy it is to stream media/movies from my computer through the xbox but the damn thing is so loud it ruins the experience.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]They already have this network called G4. Their programming sucks, what makes Microsoft think they can run a channel that only talks about games for one platform.[/citation]

Years ago when G4 was Tech TV there were some actual tech related shows, and X-Play. I thought it was great, and really hoped they would bring more tech related programs onto the channel. After the G4 merger it devolved into the bastard child of MTV; I was irritated to say the least. If MS could bring actual tech related programming to their X-Box channel I would get behind it, otherwise I fear it would just be a Spike TV, MTV, MTV 2, Adult Swim, or Comedy Central.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]HalJordan[/nom]Years ago when G4 was Tech TV there were some actual tech related shows, and X-Play. I thought it was great, and really hoped they would bring more tech related programs onto the channel. After the G4 merger it devolved into the bastard child of MTV; I was irritated to say the least. If MS could bring actual tech related programming to their X-Box channel I would get behind it, otherwise I fear it would just be a Spike TV, MTV, MTV 2, Adult Swim, or Comedy Central.[/citation]

Yeah, TechTV was decent years ago. I've only seen G4 a couple of times and its pretty lame. I doubt that MS would actually put any tech related programming in, unless it's xbox related and that's pretty slim pickings, especially because they wouldn't talk about modding / hacking.

veryed

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
No thanks. TV from my cable provider is fine. Stick with games. Now, if they made their current digital content free with an slight increase in monthly cost, I might be on board with that.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Yeah, TechTV was decent years ago. I've only seen G4 a couple of times and its pretty lame. I doubt that MS would actually put any tech related programming in, unless it's xbox related and that's pretty slim pickings, especially because they wouldn't talk about modding / hacking.[/citation]
Yeah...G4 and Tech TV used to be two seperate channels, and they were great!!! G4 had that show that focused on the greats of video game history. I remember watching the one on PC games...Ah...the 5 in floppy...Lol!(name of that show anyone?!?!?) The only good show they have (semi-good) is ATotS. Aside from everyone hovering over the "Greek goddess" Olivia Munn...I hate her... X-Play is still great tho...when they play it! Just wish they'd stop playing 6 hrs of bansuke and 8 hrs of cops...BAD SHOWS!!! And WTF is International Sexy Ladies?!?!?

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Peter Chernin has a great idea where he'll get 1 to 2 dollars from each live subscriber to create a craptastic infomercial/rerun channel. I'm sure Live subscribers will be thrilled to subsidize him. I'm also sure Microsoft will say "Thanks, but no."

Live is their golden goose. Microsoft isn't going to screw with it just to give some other guy a slice of the pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.