Microsoft Ending Support for Original Xbox Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]willienugs[/nom]damn, that asian chick is hot[/citation]
Only one picture is loading for me. I just see the one with an Asian tranny in an Xbox Live top.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
CRAP! I bought a used xbox with tons of games for $40 just a few months ago. I was considering putting live on it for Halo 2, but I guess it's not worth it anymore. :(

shadow187

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I'm glad they're doing this, and this is what Microsoft needs to do with their IE as well. Though consoles are quite different, people should realize its time to upgrade. The only reason I still have my xBox original is because it, "Might," be modded to, oh I don't know, play games I, "Might," have gotten from certain, "Matey's."

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
And this is why having in game match-making sucks. You can still find Quake 1 servers to play... yet after consideration Microsoft is pulling the plug on Livefor Xbox as a whole. Sure it may not be generating additional sales, but it should be supported for far longer than they bothered to (same goes for most games who have the rug pulled out from under them).

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
You would think that the original Xbox Live and the 360 would use the same service network, guess not. :/

btw... Halo & CounterStrike are best played with/against friends, otherwise why else play it? Can you still LAN play them I hope?

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Wait till the Crapbox 3 comes out and you 360 fan boys get dumped several years later, your $1,000 plus investment (Console or 2 and all the games) is gone for online play. If you say it won't happen you are in denial.
Another reason to not trust MS or any of these online services. One reason PC gamers are pissed about COD MW2 and no dedicated servers and Starcraft 2 and have to use their servers. This crap happens all the time. Wait till one day Steam goes tits up. They won't give a flying rats ass about you either.
I stick with a PC for main gaming.

Xaios

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
This kind of thing won't happen to Steam, at least not this way. The critical difference is that when you make a match, Xbox Live or an affiliate company gets to host the game, so in their view, the original Xbox oldies are taking up bandwidth and server resoures that could better be used to host X360 games. Steam, on the other hand, is merely an interface. Games are hosted by the end user, not Steam, so there's no incremental cost to them. You simply can't do that with a console though, because most console gamers out there don't even know how the non-centralized setup works, or that it even exists.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]Wait till the Crapbox 3 comes out and you 360 fan boys get dumped several years later, your $1,000 plus investment (Console or 2 and all the games) is gone for online play. If you say it won't happen you are in denial.Another reason to not trust MS or any of these online services. One reason PC gamers are pissed about COD MW2 and no dedicated servers and Starcraft 2 and have to use their servers. This crap happens all the time. Wait till one day Steam goes tits up. They won't give a flying rats ass about you either.I stick with a PC for main gaming.[/citation]

The circumstances are completely different. Microsoft stopped selling the original Xbox because they signed a god awful agreement with Nvidia and were losing boatloads of money on each new console sold. That won't be a problem with this generation. Also, on the original Xbox there was no Live service, it was added on after the fact which means that in order to update Xbox Live Microsoft has to update Xbox Live for the older Xbox and the newer Xbox. Once again, a problem that they won't have with the Xbox 3 or whatever they call it.

This was a necessary move and won't effect me or anyone I know in the slightest. The original Xbox has been holding back Xbox Live features for 4 years now it is high time they cut ties and moved on with the service. I am greatly looking forward to the new features that will become of this.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
There is only one thing that I don't understand:
Why not have 2 different versions of xbox live?
Keep the old one for Xbox and the new one for the users that have Xbox360 and want to update...
greeedy

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
when you buy something you don't want another company to have any control, since xbox games are forced into xbox live, when the company decided you are no longer profitable enough, you lose your investment. (unlike PC games)

with more and more games focusing more on online play, when the xbox 360 is no longer insanely profitable, you will lose xbox live support for it also and your games will be mostly useless

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]I'm glad they're doing this, and this is what Microsoft needs to do with their IE as well. Though consoles are quite different, people should realize its time to upgrade. The only reason I still have my xBox original is because it, "Might," be modded to, oh I don't know, play games I, "Might," have gotten from certain, "Matey's."[/citation]
Buying an expensive new console and buying new games for it isn't the same as upgrading a free browser because for security benefits. I hope the old service was free because it makes Xbox Live even shittier if you pay for a service and they shut it down. I really don't understand what they'd accomplish by ending support other than trying to force people to upgrade because it can't take a lot of resources. It's not like they're hosting dedicated servers for games.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]Only one picture is loading for me. I just see the one with an Asian tranny in an Xbox Live top.[/citation]

+1. If I had a yard full of wieners I wouldn't even let her look over the wall. And I'm a GIRL.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]You don't need Xbox Live if you use XLink Kai for tunneling.[/citation]

True that, used to use XLink a lot.

That said a 7 year run for the live service isn't bad at all, I'd say I got my moneys worth out of the original Xbox games I had.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Why not just open it up so users of the original xbox live can host their own servers? It costs them very little and, while many of their users don't have the know-how to use it, many of their users will benefit from it. Thousands of people still play counterstrike on steam and I doubt most of them know how to run a server. They just know how to log on to one that someone else set up. Consoles and private, centralized networks suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.