Microsoft Eradicates Password Stealers From More Than Two Million Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Two million malware infections on Windows systems is not significant. What is impressive is the shear number of assumptions McCormack makes about the reason for their prevalence.

geok1ng

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Using XP SP2 i have NEVER heard of anyone getting an infection without stupid behavior: it is not enough to click a link on a web page: you must allow the install!

if clicking on a strange link and then allowing an even stranger install to take place is not WHELP behaviour we have very few systems that are imune to infection , because Murphy's law states that you cant make a system that is idiot-proof because idiots are very creative and any system that is idiot-proof will only be used by idiots.

please remove this myth of super infectious malware that infect your machine by merely installing windows on it. Windows get more machines infected because there are more machines with windows installed. Linux NEVER was virus-free and on corporate systems Linux Based viruses are more prevalent because on corporate systems the windows based protections are more effective and react faster than Linux based ones, since they have a larger number of machines to report the infection from and a larger knowledge base to counter the virus.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Windows XP SP2 is obsolete - you should be using Vista or XP SP3 at least. Or are you one of those XP-forever anti-Vista types?

Since when did corporations start having Linux virus problems? Are you saying that they are using Linux instead of Windows now? Do college grads have to learn Linux in order to get a job?

The only time a Windows PC has virus problems is when it's hooked up to the public Internet. The Internet was designed to withstand a nuclear attack, not hackers. If Microsoft created their own Internet through MSN then the whole world would be better off. Maybe there is some truth to the rumors that they may be buying AOL.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Using XP SP2 i have NEVER heard of anyone getting an infection without stupid behavior: it is not enough to click a link on a web page: you must allow the install!

The Web is no longer a collection of user-initiated verbs; drive-by infection is both viable and in use in the wild.

A web site I use very frequently has had a drive-by malevolent PDF for several weeks now. Visit the site, the PDF loads - no interaction required - and your system is infected immediately. Fortunately, I do not allow PDFs to display in my browser and disable JavaScript for Adobe Reader as a matter of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.