Microsoft Files Patent For 1.4 Gigapixel Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom][/citation]

Real patents are fairly detailed & this one looks like a unique design to me.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]junixophobia[/nom]So future camera would have to avoid this obvious patern (multiple camera to join a giant picture) or pay royalties to M$...[/citation]

Considering we are at say what, 14MP or so, thats affordable to most consumers I don't think we will get to 1.4GP, 1,400MP, very soon.

Either way its just this idea that Microsoft is setting up to get it going. I think it would be cool to have real to life pictures at museums and such.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Now put it in a webcam. >:)

Joking. I actually wonder if they will make it, and if they will lease out time to college and universities.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]At leased Microsoft actually creates something NEW when they file their patents. *cough* iShit *cough*[/citation]
fanboy, much? How's your Zune, or are too busy talking on your Kin to tell us? I'm old enough to remember when Microsoft was the 'heavy' that stole Apple's OS innovations. I guess it really is lonely at the top...

Efrayim

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]distanted[/nom]fanboy, much? How's your Zune, or are too busy talking on your Kin to tell us? I'm old enough to remember when Microsoft was the 'heavy' that stole Apple's OS innovations. I guess it really is lonely at the top...[/citation]

Well then you must also remember Apple stealing those innovations from Xerox. Also the only reason the Zune failed is because MS didn't advertise enough.

Taken from Wiki-

Several Apple Computer employees, including Steve Jobs, visited Xerox PARC that day. Jobs and the others saw the commercial potential of the WIMP (Window, Icon, Menu, and Pointing device) system and redirected development of the Apple Lisa to incorporate these technologies. Jobs is quoted as saying, "They just had no idea what they had."

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]distanted[/nom]fanboy, much? How's your Zune, or are too busy talking on your Kin to tell us? I'm old enough to remember when Microsoft was the 'heavy' that stole Apple's OS innovations. I guess it really is lonely at the top...[/citation]
Actually I don't own an MP3/4 player, the only micro$oft product I use is Windows 7.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Like Apple didn't stole those innovations to someone else.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Before the Iphone, where were the smart phones? Before the Mac where were the computers using icons, before the Ipad where where were the Zooms, Galaxy Tabs, Touchpads? Before the Mac Air where were the superthing laptops?
No I am not a fanboy! Infact I do not now nor have I ever owned a single apple product. But why does everone else wait for apple to see what they are selling and them come to the market with a similar product of their own. Why are they never first and apple is playing catchup???

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]Actually I don't own an MP3/4 player, the only micro$oft product I use is Windows 7.[/citation]
I didn't really expect you to own any other Microsoft products, that would be unlikely because M$ tends to wait until something becomes popular, then tries to introduce their version of it. That worked well with Windows, since 90% of the market already belonged to them. All they had to do was copy other company's products, add them to Windows, and make the other products redundant. We used to joke that Bill Gates bailed out Apple because he figured it was cheaper than hiring his own R&D team. That doesn't work so well with personal electronic devices, though. And, for the record, I don't think Apple invented the mp3 player, smart phone, mouse or GUI. But, using an article about a M$ patent that simply expands the existing photo sensor array into a CCD array for even more resolution as an example of M$ creating something "new", while at the same time bashing Apple, who is (for once) not mentioned a Tom's article seems a bit childish and a little obsessive. But, then that's how most discussions seem to go here, lately.

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]Before the Iphone, where were the smart phones?[/citation]
There were plenty of smart phones before. See the LG Prada for a very similarly designed phone. The iPhone 4 actually looks more like the Prada than the 3GS.
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_ke850_prada-3d-spin-1828.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4-3d-spin-3275.php
[citation]Before the Mac where were the computers using icons[/citation]
Xerox.
[citation]before the Ipad where where were the Zooms, Galaxy Tabs, Touchpads?[/citation]
Previous tablets lacked an iOS like OS, so they were mostly bulkier (also older tech is bigger) windows affairs, See the CrunchPad for something very similar though.
http://techcrunch.com/2009/06/03/crunchpad-the-launch-prototype/

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
See the LG Prada
A concept / prototype does not mean production / market ready. The LG Prada was NOT market ready when it was released. And it's success tells volumes on itself and all other iPhone killers from that period.
Previous tablets lacked an iOS like OS
duh...
See the CrunchPad for something very similar though. http://techcrunch.com/2009/06/03/c [...] prototype/
Cool concept... but again... it's a concept!!! Not something real. If it was real, that would sell!!!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Ho
Lee
CRAP!

With that kind of res I could take a picture of someones face, then zoom in to a molecule

If that was a 16x9 aspect ratio that would be 1,120,000,000 x 840,000,000

Status
Not open for further replies.