Microsoft Files Suit Against TiVo

Status
Not open for further replies.

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
holy crap even Microsoft is gold digging off other companies. then again EU has been kicking Microsoft ass lately maybe they are just taking some frustration out on other people

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Microsoft! What did TiVo do to you![/citation]
Went after AT&T which interrupted MS's cash flow, that tends to piss off companies.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Microsoft! What did TiVo do to you![/citation]

"Microsoft is simply ticked that TiVo used its patents in 2009 to file a patent infringement suit against AT&T's set-top boxes, which are based on Microsoft's Mediaroom software."

Thats what :D

G

Didn't TIVO basically invent DVR recordings and everyone else is just copying off of them?

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]jakesty[/nom]Didn't TIVO basically invent DVR recordings and everyone else is just copying off of them?[/citation]

DVR's were around long before Tivo. Tivo is basically nothing more than a regular dvr with tivo service (and around an additional $20 a month charge). There was a time when the tivo boxes were considered to be more advanced than other offerings, but now with whole home systems offered by Cisco and other vendors, Tivo is yesterdays news unless they can somehow manage to again come up with something else truly innovative that no-one else has.

snoogins

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
The continuous suing and counter-suing over patents is starting to bug me. I understand stealing ideas and what-not is wrong, but when an idea becomes.. well... 'common' almost, the patent business starts to bug me.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]t2couger[/nom]holy crap even Microsoft is gold digging off other companies. then again EU has been kicking Microsoft ass lately maybe they are just taking some frustration out on other people[/citation]
Note that nobody can license "multitouch interface" in Europe, or, even, outside US.
US patent low needs, cough, tweaking...

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]pooflinger1[/nom]DVR's were around long before Tivo. Tivo is basically nothing more than a regular dvr with tivo service (and around an additional $20 a month charge). There was a time when the tivo boxes were considered to be more advanced than other offerings, but now with whole home systems offered by Cisco and other vendors, Tivo is yesterdays news unless they can somehow manage to again come up with something else truly innovative that no-one else has.[/citation]

Hm. My four year old Series 3 Tivo still does things others won't. I've seen other DVRs with features it doesn't have but none of them are compelling or I would have to give up something else.

I'm grandfathered in so I pay no monthly fee and I recently cut my cable (have Tivo, PC, 360, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, all that..). Most would have lost their DVR once they cancelled cable but since Tivo is standalone I still use it with an Antenna and Ethernet.

MS Might have something in this lawsuit though. The programming functions they are talking about weren't part of the original OS and I saw them on Media Center first.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]tburns1[/nom]Why does Ballmer look mentally ill in every photo I see of him? Maybe it's just me ...[/citation]
Have you ever listened to or read one of his speeches? It's not just a look. ;)

Also, while I detest these patent lawsuits. I'm glad that Tivo is getting what they like to dish out. Their "love to sue" attitude has really limited the USA to the availablity of dvr's that places like Japan and Austrialia have.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]Hm. My four year old Series 3 Tivo still does things others won't. I've seen other DVRs with features it doesn't have but none of them are compelling or I would have to give up something else. I'm grandfathered in so I pay no monthly fee and I recently cut my cable (have Tivo, PC, 360, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, all that..). Most would have lost their DVR once they cancelled cable but since Tivo is standalone I still use it with an Antenna and Ethernet.MS Might have something in this lawsuit though. The programming functions they are talking about weren't part of the original OS and I saw them on Media Center first.[/citation]

There are other options other than a Tivo or pay tv service dvr. Channel Master has a HD ota dvr. Maganox has a dvd burner with a 500 gig HDD. Both are available on walmart.com and neither has a monthly sub fee. I have an older Panasonic EH-75 dvd burner with a 80 gig HDD. But that one doesn't have an ATSC turner, so I have a DTA box attached to that. While it's great that you have a lifetime sub, don't you still have to keep connected to Tivo? With the options I mentioned, you aren't tied into anyone or anything and can place them in areas without an ethernet or phoneline nearby.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]...While it's great that you have a lifetime sub, don't you still have to keep connected to Tivo? With the options I mentioned, you aren't tied into anyone or anything and can place them in areas without an ethernet or phoneline nearby.[/citation]

I'm connected with Tivo as in they provide upcoming scheduling info but that's it. I would be impressed to know how that is done without phone or ethernet.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]man wish i would have patented the process of suing another company for patent infringement, i'd have been rich!!!![/citation]

I did :)

I'm just lurking until enough people violate my patent. Then I'll jump out of the woodwork and sue some easy targets to establish precedence. The big targets with big money come later.

Status
Not open for further replies.