Microsoft, HTC Sign Android Patent Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teen Geek

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]arcainumbro[/nom]In other words, this is how Microsoft can make a profit on a technology that is kicking their butts.[/citation]
No, it's how MS can make a profit on THEIR technology.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
It's how Microsoft can make a penny while protecting it's partner (HTC produces both WinMo and Android phones, is slated to produce some of the first WinMo7 phones).

It would effectually keep Apple from suing HTC. It's protecting it's assets in the "Handled Patent Cold War" so to speak.

adipose

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]teen geek[/nom]No, it's how MS can make a profit on THEIR technology.[/citation]

Wow, I guess you are accepting their patent claims without checking first.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
one thing i dont understand asbout patents is that if soemthing looks similar but isnt they can still sue them

has anyone thought about patenting engines so you get royalties over every engine made? its the same thing

G

To shanky887614.

Is it novel? Is it obvious? Is it useful? If the answer is yes, no, yes, then you may get a patent. To sue someone, the impugned infringing device must fall within the scope of the claims. simple.

egidem

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
"HTC and Microsoft have a long history of technical and commercial collaboration, and today’s agreement is an example of how industry leaders can reach commercial arrangements that address intellectual property,"

IN YOUR FACE STEVE JOBS!...Simple proof why Apple is extremely evil.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]adipose[/nom]Wow, I guess you are accepting their patent claims without checking first.[/citation]
If HTC is agreeing to pay royalties without being taken to court, then I would think there is some clear validity to Microsoft's patent claims.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Independent sources cites like 280 patent infringement and Microsoft is only claiming 235... well, at least Microsoft is showing some modesty. Due to the complexity nature of the kernel, I wouldn't be surprised if more than 100 of those patents are completely valid. I dunno about the rest of them though.

Where as patents like "undervolt a cpu for mobile device" is just plain shameful on the patent office.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]If HTC is agreeing to pay royalties without being taken to court, then I would think there is some clear validity to Microsoft's patent claims.[/citation]

Not so fast: HTC could have licensed the tech for $1, being an important microsoft partner.

Then, MS would have additional leverage against anyone else it decided to take to court over the "patents", making those suits far more likely to succeed and thus squashing any real competition long-term from android. Remember what SCO did to Linux a few years back? Same tactics! Hit the small fish with small payout lawsuits, then when they capitulate use that track record to strike at the bigger fish.

There is also a good chance that MS strongarmed HTC into taking such a deal for exactly that purpose. After all, these lawsuits aren't about money: they are about control of the market, a far more important asset.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Of course we wont actually tell you which patents are being violated so you can what 'we' consider violations of our intellectual property.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
It's patent trolling stunts like this that make it hard to sympathize with M$ when they whine about being sued over software patents (like with Eolas patent #5,838,906).

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Take that apple. With MS now in bed with HTC your stupid little lawsuit about obvious patents you pretend to own is going to go nowhere.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
huh wtf?!?!?
1- android is google's (perhaps this is a precursor for MS going after Google and oem's using android for some IP...?
2- I thought android was based on linux (which is open-source) not that closed source code couldn't have also been used...

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Microsoft generally claims Linux infringes on ~600 of their patented technologies. Since Android is based on Linux, I'm not surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.