Microsoft: Jailbroken Phones Not a Surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I've always like that statement..."you can do with what's yours, but don't come crying to us if it breaks!"

I'd love to see every company doing this and not have to render your things useless with bans or that sort of stuff

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]fleeb[/nom]Please enlighten me: do MS phones also have chroot jail that a bypassed unit can be called jailbroken.?[/citation]

Unfortunately, people seem to have latched onto the term "jailbreak" as a generic phrase to describe the process by which one enables previously restricted features on a smartphone/tablet/whatever, or bypasses such restrictions entirely - just like the term "hack" is now used broadly to encompass any use of a device in any manner other than those intended by the developer (or even broader - "lifehacking"? Really?).

Sad as it is, common usage dictates meaning, even when the common usage bears no relationship whatsoever to the original meaning or purpose of the term or phrase - i.e., "begging the question," "QFT/Quoted for truth," "hack" ("you keep on using [those phrases]. I do not think [they] mean what you think [they] mean"). Oh well.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
This whole Warranty crap is load of nonsense when it comes to hardware... Hardwares these days are much more reliable than before and chances are you could physically damage your hardware than electronic failure to bad design... example: warranty on the phone. You are most likely to drop it and break it which is not covered by majority of warranties than random failure.

That is why i never ever settle for extended warranty nor I would settle threat of voiding warranty...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I don't know about you, but in my life I've only been tempted to call Microsoft support once. Of course, they told me I had to go through my OEM since it was an OEM license, so, yeah, thanks a lot. Personally, I've never felt Microsoft's support presence (I'm not a corporate user, but then again, I doubt any WinPhone7 users fall under that category either). So when Microsoft says "Don't come crying to us," well, that was never the plan in the first place.

retrig

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I wonder how long before someone upgrades their WP7 phone to Android.[/citation]
Search the interwebz, many people already have.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I'm still a bit disappointed as to how locked down they have the windows mobile 7 operating system. Just definitely is not Windows' style. Why would they want to be anything like Apple?

*sigh* ...All coming from a guy who has Windows 7 on 4 computers, and a damn iPhone 4..

G

what an old news as chevronwp7 has already pulled plug of their development since they have reach an agreement with microsoft

chaoski

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Ohh wall, Android has all the freedom in the world....Android it is.

PS. MS already does a limited thing with Xbox.....nothing new, just continuing their Apple like freedom limiting techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.