Microsoft Kin Cut Ballmer's Yearly Bonus in Half

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Interesting to see the CEO be held responsible for ups and downs in a company. The Kin was more of a flop due to Verizon than Microsoft however.

Still WP7 should be a awesome comeback for Microsoft in the Smartphone market once its released on all carriers.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]IM0001[/nom]Interesting to see the CEO be held responsible for ups and downs in a company. The Kin was more of a flop due to Verizon than Microsoft however. Still WP7 should be a awesome comeback for Microsoft in the Smartphone market once its released on all carriers.[/citation]
I don't know about it being Verizon's fault. I walked into a Verizon store the day after it was released to see what it was all about. For me, there are a many phones out there that I would never buy, but I could see other people buying them. The Kin was the first phone I've played with that made me think, "Who would ever use a phone like this?"

But you're right in saying that the WP7 should be a good release. I still think it might be too late to the party to compete with the Android phones or the iPhone. I'm sure it'll grab a good 8% or so of the smartphone market share, but I doubt it'll ever reach the 15-20% that the Android and iPhone hold.

BUT, if Apple gets a giant case of stupid, and doesn't release the iPhone on another carrier once their exclusivity agreement with AT&T is up... then that can very well be the golden ticket for WP7.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Lewis57[/nom]And his half 'bonus' will still be larger than any yearly pay I'll receive.[/citation]
If you feel you're worth more, then get another job or start your own business. But don't whine about the success of others. Once you get into the mid-to-high six figures, your compensation is based on the fact that you make several times that (or create value equivalent to several times) for the company. Just like actors and pro-athletes... no one is handing them a lottery check. They get huge salaries because they MAKE a crap-load of money for someone else. If you feel like you can do better, perhaps you can; go and find out.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'd agree its partially verizon's fault. i tend to go in just to look at whats out there when kin came out went into a verizon store and one of the floor sales reps asked why i was looking at kins when a droid was so much better and kept pushing me over there till i told him to stop bugging me .. kin wasn't that bad just wasn't greaat. i'd imagine the sales people got better commisions on driods which may be a signifigant contributing factor to why they flopped so badly

maybe WP7 will offer more commision bonuses or something so salespeople will want to steer consumers toward it

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Well, if they don't review Windows 7 crippled feature set, it would cut his bonus' other half![/citation]
I meant mobile Win7.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
This is something I really respect out of Microsoft. This means that he makes, at most, maybe $2-3 million/yr (about $1.35 million). The company itself makes about $16 billion in net income. He deserves the pay, even though he is a scary, scary man. There's companies that are making a negative net income that are paying their CEOs more.

He does probably get a lot of income from Microsoft stocks, but then again, with stock dividends, that extra income is directly tied to how the company does. More companies should do this with their CEOs.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Lewis57[/nom]And his half 'bonus' will still be larger than any yearly pay I'll receive.[/citation]If you think that's bad, try a lot of other companies like Oracle ($70 million)

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
LOL I was just thinking to myself after reading the article title but before opening the link to this article, "I hope tom's uses that "booyah!" expression picture of balmer for this article and kevin did!

Too bad the pic wasn't photoshopped to have a sad face instead to portray the sadness in his bonus cut.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
All his bonuses should go to the employees of Microsoft. The work of a CEO are so over rated in this capitalistic society. The rich is getting richer and the poor is getting poorer, just make me puke.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]All his bonuses should go to the employees of Microsoft. The work of a CEO are so over rated in this capitalistic society. The rich is getting richer and the poor is getting poorer, just make me puke.[/citation]

Who said it was about the work being done? Jumping in early and taking the risk is why he get's a bonus. Ballmer joined Microsoft in 1980, which is before they started rolling in the cash. Think about it. Would you put your future on the line like that?

Back to the Kin, of course Verizon wasn't pushing the Kin. It was a terrible phone and the sales staff was right to say their Droid was a much better phone. Because it was!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]All his bonuses should go to the employees of Microsoft. The work of a CEO are so over rated in this capitalistic society. The rich is getting richer and the poor is getting poorer, just make me puke.[/citation]

His bonus and salary this year is actually less then several Microsoft Employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.