Microsoft Kinect Sells 1M Units in 10 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
"Microsoft does not condone the modification of its products," a company spokesperson said.

I doubt they could do anything about drivers on your computer though--no modifications to the actual hardware there.

I have a 360 but not Kinect yet, waiting for the "killer" games to come out first. I definitely see it as higher potential than Move though, especially since MS said in interview with GT that you can use both the 360 controller and Kinect at the same time.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
However Microsoft is poised ready with the legal hammer for anyone attempting to hack the device and its software--aka product "tampering."
And what law do they plan on using? Never heard of a law that allows a company to restrict at will what you can do with a product.

I'd probably have a Kinect if it were a little cheaper. At $150, I'm not sure I'd spend the money. Maybe $100. It's certainly a much better innovation than the Playstation Wii... I mean... Move.

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Just because M$ doesn't condone it doesn't mean they are going after people in the legal scene. Once you own a product you can do whatever you want with it. They can restrict services to you but they have no legal ground to stand on if you want to use it on your computer or in another application.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]They'll probably only gonna go after people who try and make money off mods or apps.[/citation]
Bingo. Homebrew hackers are probably fine. I'd really like to see some official Kinect interface support in Windows 8, though. This would be especially nice for a HTPC setup!

As Scotty would say:
"Hello, Computer."

Status
Not open for further replies.