Microsoft Launches 'Smoked by Windows Phone' Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Does WP7 have Android Market support or anything that makes it stand out? I realize the commonality with having Windows across all platforms but that doesn't make a difference since all phones hook to up our PC's anyways to transfer data.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I have seen a few android Devs on XDA wanting to switch to WP7 devices, they are a little fet up with how google is handling the OS.

Fragmentation is really bad.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
But this phone could be overclocked, tweaked, stripped down, or enhanced in some other way by Microsoft before showing it off. So it's a but unfair to use it as the basis of a marketing campaign if people start buying Windows Phones then finding they're not as fast as they were told.

G

yeah but the ability to tweak has always been in windows. so bonus for win7 & 8

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]gladosiri[/nom]Who cares if it's little bit more faster, if no one wants it?[/citation]
One could also say: who cares if it's slower, everybody wants it. (Which is actually true, look at all the iPhone's and Android devices and count how many people you see with a WP device)

[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]I'll keep my phone and you keep your $100, no thanks to WP7! Ugliest layout and UI ever.[/citation]

But it's faster to get to where you want, that's the point of it. It's basically the simplest and most functional out-of-the-box OS out there.

[citation][nom]computernerdforlife[/nom]Does WP7 have Android Market support or anything that makes it stand out? I realize the commonality with having Windows across all platforms but that doesn't make a difference since all phones hook to up our PC's anyways to transfer data.[/citation]

Nope :( I wish it did though, it would have swayed my purchasing decisions when it came to buying my first Android device back in 2010.

My opinion: Windows phone is pretty cool, it's fast and simple. It's kinda in a league of its own right now because it doesn't have a real major selling point to many of us.

It's market has many high-quality apps in comparison to iOS and Android but the volume of those applications is not to the same extent as iOS and Android.

I would honestly buy a WP device as my next phone if I had not already invested in apps for Android.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
WP7 is quite a fast OS. Please don't assume I'm a windows fan boy. I bought my Mozart because it was cheap and it did what I wanted it to. However I didn't expect it to be so good. To me, Linux was always faster, so I assumed android would be too.

It's a shame WP7 doesn't have a vpn connection like iOS does, if it did, I'd be quite happy

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I've got to say WP7 is a great os, for regular people. My dad's enjoying his HTC HD7 quite well and it was one of the first Window 7 phones available.

But I bet most of us here have rooted and modded our Android phones and already heavily invested in the platform due to the things that Android can do that the others can't.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Let's see how it performs against other smartphones in the graphics department..
ahahahaha no fucking software optimization can make a PoS old adreno 205 gpu with a single core cpu perform better than the big boys...

G

MS shills: "For instance, look at how much faster our app store loads! You can see all the apps on ONE PAGE!"

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]But this phone could be overclocked, tweaked, stripped down, or enhanced in some other way by Microsoft before showing it off. So it's a but unfair to use it as the basis of a marketing campaign if people start buying Windows Phones then finding they're not as fast as they were told.[/citation]
Nothing to do with tweaked hardware. Any person who knows their phone inside/out (and has rehearsed/practiced every possible task) is going to be faster than some regular person off the street trying to do those same tasks.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
For all of you fandroid and iOS fanboys, the task Ben ask everyone to do were simple and something that everyone with a smartphone should know how to do. Stop trying to find excuse for why your platform lost the competition. WP was meant to do simpler task better because not everyone gives a hoot about remote desktop connection or modding.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Haha WP7 is nice you say? at what hardware specs? because we see android being on 100$ phone and up to 900$ phones, how does wp7 (and 8) will perform on lower systems?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I kind of liked WP7 on the Lumia 800, tried it at a store...though i want to wait for the mobile version of Windows 8 on x86, see how it compares to the ARM version and take a decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.