Microsoft May Open Retail Stores Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
So.... Microsoft is going to sell... copies of their Windows Updates and Service Packs?

Oh, and I guess they could sell all the XBOX 360 Consoles, accessories, and "Games for Windows" software. I doubt I'll see a Microsoft store in my town any time soon. Not a big enough population. ;)

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
Those "I'm a Mac" commercials must have really ticked someone off at MSoft.

Apple has a much stronger brand following than Microsoft. They won't do any better than CompUSA did.

Whatever.

This is a good idea.

So.... Microsoft is going to sell... copies of their Windows Updates and Service Packs?

They could pretty much sell what ever the hell they want. The majority of computer devices have some sort of microsoft windows tie-in.

They could sell computer systems (interesting to see what oem will be carried), operating systems, peripherals (both msoft branded and abroad), video games(this move could benefit msoft and developers quite a bit as Best Buy is doing a half assed job selling PC games and hardware.), accessories and they can demo new operating systems and other technologies as well.

bone squat

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I'm all for it! These stores sound like they could have much potential. I avoid the Mac stores like the plague because of the dumb college students dressing like smug hippies. It's a social hangout place. The MS store would be a more practical intelligent approach to a software outlet. Let's hope Mac stores take a major hit and plummit to their deaths. I hate Apple and stupid Jobs. Let's hope the cancer eats his soul. =] I'm halfway kidding just really hate Apple.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Bone Squat[/nom]I avoid the Mac stores like the plague because of the dumb college students dressing like smug hippies.[/citation] That is awesome!

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I can't see this working at all. They can't undercut the other retailers, like Fry's and Best Buy, and they aren't going to carry other brands (are they??). Unlike Apple, they don't even make their own PCs or laptops. Their keyboards and mice pale in comparison to Logitec.

So, who is going to the MS store to buy Windows and a mouse???

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ravenware[/nom]Do you think they enjoy them smell of their own farts?[/citation]
Are you kidding me? I enjoy the smell of their farts while I'm sipping a mocha latte.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]DXrick[/nom]Their keyboards and mice pale in comparison to Logitec.[/citation]
I have to disagree with you there. MS makes great hardware. The keyboards in particular a the best you can buy for < $200.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
buts, dumb, waste of money. microsoft doesn't need a store, everyone sells their stuff, what do they expect people are going to go to their stores and pay list price for what they can get anywhere else discounted. if they want to be more like apple they could just buy apple for little more than interest income on the cash they are hoarding and be apple. if they want to educate customers they can put a microsoft representative in bestbuy, ect, cheaper.

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I honestly believe this might be a successful idea. Microsoft usually half asses their products or makes them run terribly, so having a store based around their products would give you people you could talk to that would have the know how of the products, hopefully.

nukemaster

Distinguished
I do not see much gains from this, but it WILL make jobs and it WILL give them a place to promote Xbox, Games for Windows as well as other Windows powered devices(Dell, HP, ect).

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i personally think this a brilliant idea, it'll bring competition and more jobs to the table, they'll sell OS's, console's, they're mp3 players, peripherals[their sidewinder mice have awesome reviews]... etc..

mac might have their own computers, but they def can't play games, which is where the 360 comes in... they both have their strengths in their categories, but I honestly think microsoft>apple... and best of all, I DONT HAVE TO SHIP MY RED RING TO TEXAS!! W000000TTT [lol]

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]fuser[/nom]I have to disagree with you there. MS makes great hardware. The keyboards in particular a the best you can buy for < $200.[/citation]
< $40 more like it

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Well, we know from Mythbusters that hitting the ground running is the worst thing you can ever do and to wish that to Microsoft? I don't think they would fair any better because the Apple Store.

PCFreak071

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
[citation][nom]DXrick[/nom]Their keyboards and mice pale in comparison to Logitec.So, who is going to the MS store to buy Windows and a mouse???[/citation]

They have teamed up with companies like RAZER to make peripherals that are very competitive in the past.

Perhaps they will have a section for GFW that contains gamer parts in a wider selection than best buy. What better way to push your software then to provide both low end and high end PC's to run it and the games that are big on your OS. Perhaps they'll use the Vista/Windows 7 performance ratings on their pre-built PC's to show what games and programs can run on it to promote the sales of that software... Just an Idea but I could see that working to some degree.

2GooDrumr

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
This is a magnificent day. Zunes, Nice Windows Pc's, Xbox 360's and Windows 7 all in one small store. This is going to be great. Being someone who likes MS almost 75% of the time, this sounds good to me.
By the way, CompUSA was the greatest tech retailer out there, if MS can do the same, and be successful, good luck to them.

G

Whats with the 'it will create jobs' comments. They just layed off 5000 people.

As far as the stores go, dumb idea. Unless they sell other brands, which they probably wont they dont have much hope of surviving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS