Microsoft Offering Free Microsoft Points for Preordering Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
gta5 is the only one i would consider it for... but at the same time, i would go ps3 for it over microsoft, and at that, i would probably wait to see the pc version a year later before i jump on it.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Thank you for pre-ordering our game...

In our inconsiderate thanks to such loyal fans, we will...

1. Remove features that we previously promised, and put them in a DLC or in the "Gold Edition", which is not as same as the pre-order. Then, we'll remove some of the features from the DLC and "Gold Edition", and put them in the "Platinum Edition".

2a. Release the game with several major bugs. Bug testing during development and beta takes too much work. We can always fix them later.

2b. Put the bug fixes in the DLC. The DLC that requires payment of course.

3. Release the game with half-baked concepts. Sorry that our trailers and the reviewer lied to you and made you expect more than we were willing to give you.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Thank you for pre-ordering our game...In our inconsiderate thanks to such loyal fans, we will...1. Remove features that we previously promised, and put them in a DLC or in the "Gold Edition", which is not as same as the pre-order. Then, we'll remove some of the features from the DLC and "Gold Edition", and put them in the "Platinum Edition".2a. Release the game with several major bugs. Bug testing during development and beta takes too much work. We can always fix them later.2b. Put the bug fixes in the DLC. The DLC that requires payment of course.3. Release the game with half-baked concepts. Sorry that our trailers and the reviewer lied to you and made you expect more than we were willing to give you.[/citation]

point 1, a crappy practice, but its rare for what is taken out to be significant, baring capcom games, where they remove the real ending to the game and make you pay for it.

2a on the pc side, many setups and you cant test them all no mater how much you try. on the console side, you are under deadlines for many projects. no one goes into a game and just makes them good enough (at least on the primary platform)

2b a crappy and lesser done practice, and is only really done when its a bug with a core mechanic. still, its indefensible.

3, in that case, you could take them to court over false advertising if you cant get your money back.

i would add one to that,

4) adding dlc to in game content so you always see it, but cant access it without buying it.
dragons age
forza 4

those are two that are blatant about it, i cant think of others but i know there are others.

Donsai

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]How is it for free when you have to pay for it?[/citation]
Are you really that obtuse? It's like getting a baker's dozen: you pay for 12 rolls and get 13. It's a really simple concept: throw in something extra when customers buy something to make them more inclined to make the purchase in the first place.
That being said, you have to ask yourself if the Microsoft Points they're throwing in are worth anything to you personally (they wouldn't be for me), and whether you want to play the games they're offering.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I would think the benefit is pretty one-to-one as I see it. You preorder one of these games, that's almost certain to have DLC, and you get 1600 MS Points, or about $20, to then spend on the DLC that is going to come out. I'm not a fan of DLC, and I can see the slippery slope this will roll down, but for now it's not a bad deal. Unfortunately I'm not interested enough in any of these games to buy them at launch, much less preorder them.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Coupon code will be sent to email address associated with purchase after game is shipped. Booo. So they take my money make me wait for months to get the points.

Status
Not open for further replies.