Microsoft Office "Student & Teacher" edition

spartan92

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
Does anyone know what the real world differences are between Microsoft's "Student and Teacher" edition and the regular version. Also, how strict are online retailers in proving that you are in fact a student.

I'm building a brand new system and want to buy a copy of office, but have having a hard time justifying the high price of the regular version. Anyone have any thoughts on this topic? Thanks

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Dude the version labeled for student and teachers is for students and teachers. If your not a student or a teacher then buy the regular version or do without.

LOSER!!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You would probably have to provide proof of being a student or teacher.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

RichPLS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
Actually, you can buy these without any check. But all Academic versions can not be upgraded.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Llamaman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
My understanding is that the student versions are simply an empty box with an application form inside. You need to complete the form and get verification that you are a student (or teacher) and send it to MS to get the CD.
They may have changed this recently (I haven't checked the website since I'm no longer a student), but I'd be surprised. There may be ways to fake the verification and get a student license, but to be honest, there's not a lot of point - you can get Open Office for free without committing fraud.