Microsoft On Windows Phone 7 Minimum Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Why would it need DX9 ? Everybody uses oGL 2.0 ES on mobile devices. Actually, they use OpenGL everywhere except for Windows/xbox.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Why would it need DX9 ? Everybody uses oGL 2.0 ES on mobile devices. Actually, they use OpenGL everywhere except for Windows/xbox.[/citation]

Because Microsoft created and supports DirectX not OpenGL. Why would they go with OpenGL if they have their own (better imo) api? Api which they are free to evolve as they see fit to better suit the platform. Besides DirectX in general is always a few steps ahead of OpenGL since quite some time now.

G

A lot of phones now meet these requirements. Except for the GPU, the compass and proximity. I'm sure there's a way to upgrade SOME of these phones now to windows phone 7.

longshotthe1st

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
[citation][nom]builderbobftw[/nom]Well, Can it Run an Game Boy Color emulators? (Pokenon Gold, Anyone?)That is arguably the coolest thing about he Iphone.[/citation]

So you use your phone to play Pokemon? Please tell me that was a gag.

0r0d

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Why would it need DX9 ? Everybody uses oGL 2.0 ES on mobile devices. Actually, they use OpenGL everywhere except for Windows/xbox.[/citation]So other than 90% of computers, other than that everyone uses OGL?

As far as consoles, you're wrong. The Wii doesnt use OpenGL. Of the current gen only the PS3 uses OpenGL. So, I guess when you say "everybody" and "everywhere" what you're really saying is you dont have a clue what you're talking about.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
@builderbobftw

If that's really the reason you bought an iPhone, think the N-Gage has that like, years ago...... Along with Genesis, NES, Game Gear, SNES and the GBA.....

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I was seriously all down on the windows 7 phone, until I heard it has directX 9 (with sm3).

A few things they should change for minimum requirements:

1. up the ram to at least 512mb
2. multitouch "resistive" touch screen
3. standard usb drivers and usb port
4. wireless g phone to phone networking

- with 512mb you could play bf2
- resistive multitouch is the only technology that I believe could beat out the iphone.
- standard usb drivers and usb port so you can use a keyboard, mouse, joystick, and, it would be easy to create add-ons for the phone.
- and the wireless phone to phone networking would be great so you could create a lan game and play with your friends. (battlefield 2)

Just think about it.

arvink

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Hey Microsoft, nice work releasing a phone in a few months or several months that won't even compare to the Apple iPhone 4G or the new droid updates or phones...

/amazed @ the lack of futuristic views.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]I was seriously all down on the windows 7 phone, until I heard it has directX 9 (with sm3). A few things they should change for minimum requirements: 2. multitouch "resistive" touch screen[/citation]

Resistive touch screens absolutely suck. The iPhone would have tanked if it had a resistive touch screen. Having to actually press on the screen is annoying and hard to use. I couldn't imagine actually trying to type anything of length using a resistive touch screen. No way. MS has already ruined Windows Phone 7 with the lack of copy/paste but at least the tech will still be "nice."

G

I find it scary I can run Ubuntu comfortably with a complete install in 2gb of storage space and use less than 120mb idling with compiz running. Looks like someone could put Ubuntu netbook remix on some of those phones =) 6gb of free space for music, videos and maybe some pron. haha

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
why not dx10/11? it would make the gamer$ so much more happy
only 480x800? poor crysissies'll be very disappointed
accelerometer, and gps? are that ones for dead reckoning, after the lu$er trips over the sidewalk's border, too $tonned by the gaming se$$ion, or for post-mortem cra$h analysis?

micro$uxx' wm nedded it's vis$hta moment... it's getting closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.