Microsoft Probably Made $1 Billion from Xbox Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoblue3296

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
$1 billion well earned, Xbox live is by far the best online experience of the three consoles (unless PSN plus changes that, Hulu Plus, I'm looking at you).

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]mgoblue3296[/nom]$1 billion well earned, Xbox live is by far the best online experience of the three consoles (unless PSN plus changes that, Hulu Plus, I'm looking at you).[/citation]
i'd have to agree. shame to the thumbs down. call us stupid, but you don't know the experience of xbox live until you try it. more people that play = better online experience.

but anyways, i'll support microsoft as long as they keep apple from taking over the world.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Been playing PC games online for well over $10 years and the only thing I had to pay for was my internet connection.

G

Well you get what you pay for. I have to admit begrudgingly, Microsoft did a good job with Xbox live. PSN can't hold a candle to it right now.

Paying extra for online gaming sucks but someone has to in order to keep the network and servers running.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]mgoblue3296[/nom]$1 billion well earned, Xbox live is by far the best online experience of the three consoles (unless PSN plus changes that, Hulu Plus, I'm looking at you).[/citation]
I'm amazed the amount of MS fanboys that willingly give out cash to MS. RROD, no problem fork out cash, no WiFi, I'll give another 100. No Blue Ray, no problem I will buy a separate player. Pay to pley online, I love MS, how much do you want.

cewhidx

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]I'm amazed the amount of MS fanboys that willingly give out cash to MS. RROD, no problem fork out cash, no WiFi, I'll give another 100. No Blue Ray, no problem I will buy a separate player. Pay to pley online, I love MS, how much do you want.[/citation]

Feel better now that ya got that all out of your system?

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I have an Xbox360 and Xbox Live subscription. To be honest, I haven't found much value in it. As an avid PC gamer, I still don't really understand the concept of paying a subscription fee just to be able to play multi-player games. I don't have to do that with the Steam games (L4D, L4D2, etc) that I play on my PC.

It's debatable whether or not I'll renew my subscription at the end of the year.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I'm amazed that people still talk about the Red Ring of Death. I have never had it, still have my launch Xbox 360. The newer versions rectified this issue and the Xbox 360 S is a unified die for the CPU and the GPU at 45nm which is half the size of the original, less current used, less power needed, all equating to less overall power for the system. Just look at the power specs. Release system used 240w, then the 1st revision used 180, then the latest revision now uses 150W or so. That's a reduction of almost 100W of power, meaning that less power to have to dissipate in excess heat. I love my PS3, but when it comes to online gaming, the Xbox 360 just has more people playing the games I play. Period.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Considering how people pay the "extra console tax" for the console games i'm not surprised at all that MS made that money instead of people placing it in their rigs.

Buy a cheap console and pay alot for the games or buy a more powerfull PC and pay less for the games.. who gets the most out of their games for the same amonth of money in the end?

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
It costs money to run xbox live, and all the different servers for the games, and the developement. So making xbox live cost money, means that xbox live will always be improved, and the servers will be fast.

The problem with a free service, is that it is creappy, as the only money made is on games and not the console. So where does the money come from to keep the service fast?

Xbox love is kick ass. If you worried about the costs, then buy one of the bundles or get a xbox live special promotion when it comes on. But beware, if you pay for an subscription on your xbox, auto renew gets turned on by default. And the only way to cancel auto renww is buy calling xbox live support (option not available on the xbox or xbox website). Mostly I buy the game bundles that come with free xbox live.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I'm not surprised, good for them. I bought a 1 year subscription back when newegg had them for 30 bucks. After that i been paying for the 3 month ones for quite some time now. I feel that 50 bucks is a lot for a service i hardly use unless I'm playing multi-player everyday which doesn't happen often. But none the less the service is great and works better then PS3's thats for darn sure.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]i'd have to agree. shame to the thumbs down. call us stupid, but you don't know the experience of xbox live until you try it. more people that play = better online experience. but anyways, i'll support microsoft as long as they keep apple from taking over the world.[/citation]
I think stupid is an understatement. Especially with all of the stupid statements you just made in just four "sentences." Sad you don't even know you're being ripped off. And no quantity does not = quality. I've tried Xbox Live and it was horrible. It would be bad even for a free service. The fact that you have to pay for it is salt in the wounds. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Xbox Live users are chumps who don't know any better. It offers absolutely nothing of value. It's basically Steam for the Xbox. Would you pay $50 a year for Steam? I hope not.

G

Goes to show how successfull X-Box and X-Box live is, well done Microsoft!

Personally I game PC and Wii with family!

G

[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I think stupid is an understatement. Especially with all of the stupid statements you just made in just four "sentences." Sad you don't even know you're being ripped off. And no quantity does not = quality. I've tried Xbox Live and it was horrible. It would be bad even for a free service. The fact that you have to pay for it is salt in the wounds. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Xbox Live users are chumps who don't know any better. It offers absolutely nothing of value. It's basically Steam for the Xbox. Would you pay $50 a year for Steam? I hope not.[/citation]
Either you're lying about trying XBL or you just have no conception of quality when it stares you in the face. Your comparison to Steam is also stupid. I have used steam longer than XBL (Which I've been using since 2008) and it doesn't take a genius to see that they are completely different.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
MS may well have made $1 billion, but come on do they really thing its a good value service that gamers have to buy the games first then pay another fee to play on line ?

The whole gaming industry at the moment has gone mad for money grabbing "extras"

MS = xbox live.... more money
Activision / IW = COD dlc more money...

and the only people that seem to loose out is the public who line the pcokets of the above mentioned companines.

Status
Not open for further replies.