Microsoft Releases IE9 Preview 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arguggi

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
At least it looks like they are trying to catch up with competitors like chrome and Opera, even though when IE 9 will finally be out FF/Chrome/Opera/Safari will probably still be way in the lead with JS speed and support for new W3C wannabe standards like HTML 5.....

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hey, actually it seems you can surf around. Click on "page" in the top left corner and "open" and you can type in a url!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
however the biggest "oh snap!" aspect of this demo was the ability to select any portion of the paragraph and change its language. That's right--users can immediately convert text right on the page without having to load up an URL through Google Translate or Babel fish.
LoL, what? How is 90% of the page still relevant, but there's that one sentence you just need to have translated for you? Hay absolutamente una abundancia de uvas.

G

'however the biggest "oh snap!" aspect of this demo was the ability to select any portion of the paragraph and change its language'

yessssssssss always wanted to know how to say 'but can it play crysis' in Japanese !!!!!

G

Seriously? Is this a real article? My 8 year old nephew could have written something better than this, and he doesn't even speak English!

1. You can "surf" whatever page you want. Click Page then Open. Or just Ctrl + O. Seriously. How did you miss this?

2. The translation is not a part of "IE9". The test shows showcases that you can select any text and do whatever you want with it. In this case it's an AJAX call to microsofttranslator.com (Bing translator), and you could do the same for google translator.

If you're going to write an article, at least spend more than 10 minutes playing with the damned thing and compare it's performance against some of the other browsers instead of touting the tests as "IE9 features".

Now the whole web is going to think that you can only surf "Microsoft approved" web pages and translation will be built in IE9.

kriswitak

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]faa[/nom]Seriously? Is this a real article? My 8 year old nephew could have written something better than this, and he doesn't even speak English!1. You can "surf" whatever page you want. Click Page then Open. Or just Ctrl + O. Seriously. How did you miss this?2. The translation is not a part of "IE9". The test shows showcases that you can select any text and do whatever you want with it. In this case it's an AJAX call to microsofttranslator.com (Bing translator), and you could do the same for google translator.If you're going to write an article, at least spend more than 10 minutes playing with the damned thing and compare it's performance against some of the other browsers instead of touting the tests as "IE9 features".Now the whole web is going to think that you can only surf "Microsoft approved" web pages and translation will be built in IE9.[/citation]

You mad brah?

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
why does everyone get upset everyday on this website. its really a downer. if you like another browser thats great. what does that have to do with A TEST DRIVE FOR IE9. its not alpha, beta, or a rough draft. its just showcasing a few things and people flip the #$&*^# out. try running a company with thousands of GPOs and you'll realize why you want IE.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
users can play with the Flickr Explorer, a unique way of accessing multitudes of images in a floating plane-type experience. Just imagine a wallpaper of images coming alive and darting forward, floating just behind the screen. Users can zoom in on any particular image, or move it aside in real-time to view the next floating picture lined up to the left, to the right, above or below.

Unique? don't you mean it's a copy of Cooliris? Come on where was your journalistic Skepticism when you swallowed this guff?

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]silentq[/nom]Why release a demo of a browser if you can't surf the web on it? Highly doubt it'll even get close to chrome 5[/citation]
chrome is as much as a joke of a webbroswer as Older Ie versions are, they don't even allow you to encrypt your passwords when you save them though a master password. Along with the only thing more annoying then google tring to make you use their browser on every one of their sites would be pop up ads.

IE is moving in the right direction be happy, also if they don't release it with the ability to encrypt the passwords they save though the usage of a master-password imma bitch slap a developer.
[citation][nom]bosqueteer[/nom]Or opera 10[/citation]
except opera is known to have issue with webpages usually rendering them slightly differently, something FF and IE are not known for.

G

And some webpages are still soo poorly coded that only IE will display them...Give it a year or 2 microsoft will get it right...eventually. Looks promising but will it deliver?

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Firefox 3.63 gets 94/100 in Acid3, the latest Opera gets 100/100 (I don't know about Chrome, never used it); Microsoft preview 2 at 68/100 is definetely better than 20/100 in IE8, but they still have a long way to go to regain our trust.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]Firefox 3.63 gets 94/100 in Acid3, the latest Opera gets 100/100 (I don't know about Chrome, never used it); Microsoft preview 2 at 68/100 is definetely better than 20/100 in IE8, but they still have a long way to go to regain our trust.[/citation]

ACID3 is much like 3DMark; proves you have a larger e-penis, but doesn't translate to a better web experience.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
People only care about how sites work. And let's face it web sites look great in all browsers and load about the same, no human can tell the fricking difference. I'm a web developer of 15 years and could care less which browser I happen to open. I do lean towards IE without question as I like the interface best, but seriously FF is great to and has some very nice extensions. The Acid test is a bit pointless, I agree it's a godo to strive for and I bet IE will be pretty darn close this time around, but in real life it means very very little.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]People only care about how sites work. And let's face it web sites look great in all browsers and load about the same, no human can tell the fricking difference. I'm a web developer of 15 years and could care less which browser I happen to open. I do lean towards IE without question as I like the interface best, but seriously FF is great to and has some very nice extensions. The Acid test is a bit pointless, I agree it's a godo to strive for and I bet IE will be pretty darn close this time around, but in real life it means very very little.[/citation]

There is a very noticeable difference in pages with lots of JS between IE and all the other browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.