Microsoft Says Blu-ray Drive Coming for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Meh. Honestly I could care less I don't need Blu-Ray for the 360 when my PC plays it just fine. And the chances that MS would make Blu-Ray games on the current 360 console when it's this matured are practically zilch. Not saying it's a bad idea to have an addon player--just that I'm not interested and really it won't be that big of a deal either way.

G

Wow! I never thought this would be a possibility in the minds of the Microsoft eggheads! Hell has frozen over!!!

G

On demand services will never be massively popular as distributed physical media will always trump it for Quality and Storage capacity, downloading a Bluray quality film would kill my internet limit.

tbhall77

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Kind of late to the game. You can get a new stand alone blu ray player starting around $150 from amazon. I'd hope the addon would be competitive in price due to the fact you have to already have a xbox 360.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I still prefer some physical media for the movies i buy mainly as proof of purchase and if the disc is bad, you can return it and ask for a replacement. if i downloaded it, the burden of proof of legal purchase is much harder and complicated.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
"Thus far, the only way Xbox 360 owners have been able to view new high-definition movies and shows is through the Xbox Live Marketplace"

Why would they want Blu-ray, they will make more money off of the above.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
@radio_active: Because the people who they already make money off of with on demand, will continue to use that. But those who dont who do have bluray, will buy the drive (and maybe some of those on demand people as well), thus making them even more money.

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]"Thus far, the only way Xbox 360 owners have been able to view new high-definition movies and shows is through the Xbox Live Marketplace"Why would they want Blu-ray, they will make more money off of the above.[/citation]
Because as much as people like to polarize the issue as black and white, there's a market for both.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
You (us customers) need to purchase separate drive then attach it to the xbox360 as an accessory. Lol, same thing as buying a blu-ray drive.

G

Anyone knows how is it that trends like cloud computing and on-demand content will play out against all the bandwidth capping ISP's are talking about or have already implemented?

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Another $200 accessory that I wont use... Buy a PS3 at least you have the same functionality of a stand alone drive but have the added value of downloading movies as well as other content. Oh and Games.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'll stick to netflix streaming on the 360 and watch the rare blu-ray movie on the PS3. Not sure the point of this thing unless they start putting it inside the 360 while not raising the price. Are people really going to buy an Xbox 360 because they now have the option to buy a $100+ blu-ray add-on? I think not.

DustyDinkelman

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
The 360 price must DROP and the price of the drive must be LOW (sub-$100). Otherwise, it would sell less than the HD-DVD ROM.

Personally, I already have a PS3, 360 HD-DVD ROM, and a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive for the PC (PS3 broke in Feb.)

Status
Not open for further replies.