Microsoft Says Zune HD NOT Dead (Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Okay Microsoft this has to got to stop. If you're going to keep it alive, then at least refresh the damn thing. If you killed it once, then leave it that way!

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
This haphazard product management isn't going to encourage anyone to make a long-term investment in Zune hardware at anything more than fire-sale/clearance prices.

G

Kevin,

What are MS doing? I have the screenshots of the original MS uploaded "Death" page for the Zune Hardware - and their ZuneSupport tweet to me confirming the mistake with my coverage here:

http://www.wpdownunder.com/?p=2743

Bit of a mess really.

Sheeds.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
LOL, just goes to show that MS never quite knew what to do with the thing. Too bad really as they were/are some great hardware. Not quite enthusiast level like some of the old Zen players of days gone by, but worlds ahead of apple in terms of clarity and a clean signal.

I will never forget when my wife wanted to play a few songs off her iPod on the 'big' speakers and was taken back at how terrible it sounded over a real sound system. It is fine for the crappy headphones they come with. But the quality shows when you connect to 1/2 decent hardware, especially when you can hear it right after/before anything else. Thankfully the last 2 generations of iProducts are much improved and not as glaring, but still not up to Zune quality.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Just let it die Microsoft face it you waited to long to get into the market and that's why Apple beat you in this area. Its not that Apple IPOD is better its that they did it first

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Just let it die Microsoft face it you waited to long to get into the market and that's why Apple beat you in this area. Its not that Apple IPOD is better its that they did it first[/citation]It didn't help that the Zune software was rather locked-down which restricted third-party developers from using the hardware to its full potential. It wasn't until OpenZDK was created that better performance could be realized but it's a bit too late now.

Standalone media players are probably going to be extinct soon as the capabilities will be merged with smartphones. Consumer digital cameras and GPS devices face the same fate.

Portable radios have the same problem and broadcasters are trying to get the FCC to mandate FM radio reception in smartphones in an attempt to prevent listener base decline.

It won't be long before smartphones turn into tricorders.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]It didn't help that the Zune software was rather locked-down which restricted third-party developers from using the hardware to its full potential. It wasn't until OpenZDK was created that better performance could be realized but it's a bit too late now.Standalone media players are probably going to be extinct soon as the capabilities will be merged with smartphones. Consumer digital cameras and GPS devices face the same fate. Portable radios have the same problem and broadcasters are trying to get the FCC to mandate FM radio reception in smartphones in an attempt to prevent listener base decline.It won't be long before smartphones turn into tricorders.[/citation]

The scary thing is that what once would have been hyperbole is not highly plausible. I've since replaced my standalone MP3 player with a Windows Phone 7 device and it also handles 99% of my email consumption, even when at home (and that isn't a BS statistic; the only reason I open my desktop mail client now is to watch a video my phone can't handle, which is very rare).

I don't listen to the radio anymore because I always have a source of music with me and now use my phone for a function I never did before: GPS.

Pretty crazy how much technology can change in 6 years. I guess we have the late Jobs to thank for it too. Apple may not have made the best phones, mp3 players, computers, or tablets but, like Microsoft before it, they shaped the industry and facilitated rapid change.

And it's all thanks to Jobs.

Yep, that still stings coming out...

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
The Zune HD is still the best standalone music and video player out there. Grab the ZHD dock for your TV and its even better. the quality of this product is simply amazing compared to all the iDevice clones out there, and yes, even the iPod itself.
I wish MS would either kill it, or refresh it. The uncertainty is killing it.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]The scary thing is that what once would have been hyperbole is not highly plausible. I've since replaced my standalone MP3 player with a Windows Phone 7 device and it also handles 99% of my email consumption, even when at home (and that isn't a BS statistic; the only reason I open my desktop mail client now is to watch a video my phone can't handle, which is very rare).I don't listen to the radio anymore because I always have a source of music with me and now use my phone for a function I never did before: GPS.Pretty crazy how much technology can change in 6 years. I guess we have the late Jobs to thank for it too. Apple may not have made the best phones, mp3 players, computers, or tablets but, like Microsoft before it, they shaped the industry and facilitated rapid change.And it's all thanks to Jobs. Yep, that still stings coming out...[/citation]

Thank Jobs for tech changing? LOL!

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Quite simple:

Microsoft have a warehouse full of Zune HD's that will not sell.

Putting the death nail on the product line will mean that stock will move even slower.

Wait till Christmas, sell as many as possible, THEN kill the line after they dump inventory.

Business 101.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]OK then, how bout a FIRE SALE ! 50 bucks anyone?? Worked for HP. Just sayin.....[/citation]
$25 ...then I'll buy one.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I think only 20,000 people in the world actually owns a ZUNE... those that MS gave away to the military and those given to MS Employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.