Microsoft Stores Coming This Fall, Near Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emusnacks

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I am not sure what this would accomplish. People do not go to Apple in order to look for the cheapest things -- most of them shop at Apple because they really like their products.

This looks like a case of Microsoft deciding to open stores regardless, so they decided they might as well put them closer to Apple stores.

Meh.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
when it comes to tech, you never go to the manufacture stores anyway (sony stores, apple ect) cause you will more than likely pay more, usually RRP.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
This could be a good way for the computer illiterate to get better educated about PCs. Need some 'Microsoft Geniuses' telling people that they really don't need a netbook, that they will be much happier with a much more powerful desktop for less money instead of best buy or fry's employees that don't know or don't care if the customer is happy with their purchase after getting it home.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Dingumf actually Apple started the commerical war. Microsoft just won that war. And its no different than Apple setting up shop in bestbuys and comp usa's equipped complete with Apple Geniuses

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
In SF there was a Microsoft Store. MS Closed for a few years now and gave no reasons. Now they plan to reopen the store again, how stupid.
What is the store going to sell?

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]They will also be handing out company colored armor and batons for "Debating" with each other.[/citation]
I love you.

G

Sounds like a good idea. They can show, point by point, how their stuff is as good as Apple's offering. I don't care either way, but it seems like a cool strategy.

surrept420

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]velo116[/nom]no need for the walmart comment in a hardnews article...[/citation]

There is if they plan on using a wal-mart exec to run the stores...genius.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
"Microsoft plans to set up shop next to every Apple Store."

Clearly not what was said. Ridiculous headliner.

"...if Microsoft plans to import PC components and gadgets straight from China sweatshops..."

The author clearly has a beef with corporations.

AlphaOmegaX

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
I think it's a fabulous prospect.

Every time I've ever been in a Mac store (not by choice. My neice thought Ipods were cute) All I heard the salesmen telling people were how much better Macs were than Pc's in every aspect and it was pretty hard not to interrupt and tell different but I like letting people stay ignorant.

Either way, Mac & Microsoft will always be around.

Odd comparing the two companies as Mac makes their own hardware then turns it proprietary and charges up the butt for it.

At least with Microsoft you're just looking at loads of universal parts for a lot less.

bad_code

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]when it comes to tech, you never go to the manufacture stores anyway (sony stores, apple ect) cause you will more than likely pay more, usually RRP.[/citation]

Exactly! Like I want to pay MS for MS Winblows when I could go to best buy or a local computer store and get a cheap CPU and the OEM version of Windblows. Not only that, but I don't want any specific Microshaft gadgets. The only reason apple stores need to exist is because there are not many place you can get an apple PC and apple gadgets, where as microshaft and other devices that work with non apple PCs are ever where. PC = personal computer which apple is you just can't build them so they are less personal. :)

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
What would they sell at an MS store? An entire wall devoted to the different iterations of Windows Vista? When you look at Microsofts actual products its relatively limited since they partner with many hardware manufacturers to sell products for them.

Its not like they can sell non-OEMs, it would ruin relations with their OEMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.