Microsoft: Streaming Devices Not a threat to Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Streaming is a great idea....until your ISP disconnects you for exceeding your monthly cap.[/citation]
LOL, good point! That is great comment!

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Streaming is a great idea....until your ISP disconnects you for exceeding your monthly cap.[/citation]
Exactly, monthly caps will be the norm so these companies can get huge profits. They will blame us for being bandwidth hogs and act as if their crap does not stink.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I like onlive. It's a great idea for the people that have access to fast internet. I definitly like the idea of playing any game on a netbook. Plus my college has blazing fast internet so i can play on my netbook any day. Streaming isa great idea and it will be revolutionary in the gaming business. The only thing i dont like is that if this happens, we may see the end if the EPIC ATI/NVIDIA battles.:(

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]I like onlive. It's a great idea for the people that have access to fast internet. I definitly like the idea of playing any game on a netbook. Plus my college has blazing fast internet so i can play on my netbook any day. Streaming isa great idea and it will be revolutionary in the gaming business. The only thing i dont like is that if this happens, we may see the end if the EPIC ATI/NVIDIA battles.[/citation]

Ya my college has blazing internet too. But how long do you expect to be in college?

I think it will be a while before this Onlive stuff becomes practical.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Eh... not a fan of digital anything. I like having physical copies of things. That's why I never buy games on Steam (and also because I hate how Steam installs and manages games).

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Eh... not a fan of digital anything. I like having physical copies of things. That's why I never buy games on Steam (and also because I hate how Steam installs and manages games).[/citation]

Not a big fan of digital anything? So, i'm assuming you play with dominos and the ball-in-a-cup?

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I'm definately gonna try this out, but i'm more interested in the community features and how well it streams on its minimum required bandwith. Mostly I wan't it to work because i'm getting married in a few months and I won't be able to upgrade my comp all the time. If i can have a good gaming experience with a keyboard and mouse with an onlive console then I am on board for sure. But my hopes aren't very high so i don't get let down lol

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
My only fear is the whole "cap-limit" that these streaming machines will have... I mean, cmon, these machines are gonna have to be EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY powerful to process gaming like this!!!! Imagine 30,000 people trying to play Crysis at the same time? What!?

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
... Playing on a netbook? My netbook can struggle with Flash, whether it's streaming video or not, I don't think performance on a Netbook will be 100%.

We shall see.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]My only fear is the whole "cap-limit" that these streaming machines will have... I mean, cmon, these machines are gonna have to be EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY powerful to process gaming like this!!!! Imagine 30,000 people trying to play Crysis at the same time? What!?[/citation]
*watches as powergrid crashes* :p

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
As for me i mainly use the xbox 360 for game and steaming from netflix now but the problem with that is with the 360 i have to pay for a gold membership witch raises the price of netflix for me by 50 Bux a year now that i can use my PS3 to do the same thing hopefully conveniently i dont have to re up with M$ im down with not give M$ more of my money

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
[citation][nom]secolliyn[/nom]As for me i mainly use the xbox 360 for game and steaming from netflix now but the problem with that is with the 360 i have to pay for a gold membership witch raises the price of netflix for me by 50 Bux a year now that i can use my PS3 to do the same thing hopefully conveniently i dont have to re up with M$ im down with not give M$ more of my money[/citation]Ummm, the price of Xbox LIVE acts as a regulator, keeping the number of users down to a point where most things work OK. *Maybe* 75% of the people who buy a 360. It probably requires hardware upgrades on a regular basis to maintain 'OK' but not at the pace it might.

Sony's system has no price-based regulator, and so its use will likely grow a LOT faster. I'd hate to say 100% of PS3 users will jump on, since having a TV is not as hard as having Internet access, but it should be close to 100%. Sony will have to maintain AND upgrade their servers with only the income from game royalties and console sales. *I* think this will eventually lead to users paying for it just like LIVE, but Sony could tough it out for years before admitting this, and I just hope the TRUE fanboys are ready to defend them when it happens...

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]Not a big fan of digital anything? So, i'm assuming you play with dominos and the ball-in-a-cup?[/citation]

lmao. Ball in a cup. Hey, kids of America, it's hand-painted, wooden Ball in a Cup! Who needs constant electronic video stimulation when there's Ball in a Cup, Mexico's favorite toy for over 340 years! Toss the ball, catch it in the cup, dump it out of the cup, toss it, and catch it in the cup again. The ball is on a string and attached to the cup, so there's no worry if you don't catch the ball in the cup, and clean-up is as easy as catching a ball in a cup! So why spend another day not catching a ball in a cup when you could be catching a ball in a cup?

lawsudz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
The idea of streaming games (i.e. processing done remotely) is a great idea, but anyone who thinks that Sony and MSoft are going to watch as OnLive dominates is sadly mistaken. In a few years when high speed broadband is more widely available, the technology to stream will not be the limiting factor. Rather it will be a question of who gets the rights to stream the newest games. My guess is that Sony and MSoft will use their vast resources to bury OnLive and Gaikai. All they have to do is wait and let OnLive and Gaikai expend their money to build the customer base.

Summer Leigh Castle

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I like Steam. Apparently, people didn't remember the good o'days of finding patch updates for CS 1.6 or inserting a CD to play games.

Oh, the good old days. Which update do I download? The patch for the upgraded version or the patch for the retail version? Or the full patch for the retail that may work for the upgraded version? How about the patch for the upgraded version of CS that didn't have the up-to-date patches? Even more annoying was when you loaded the darn thing after waiting in line for ages (yes, you had to be queued) only to find that you had the wrong patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.