Microsoft Sues TomTom for Patent Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
“TomTom is a highly respected and important company. We remain open to quickly resolving this situation with them through an IP
licensing agreement.”'

read: we'll sue them until they are worthless, then buy them cheap

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
@bad_code:
Why does Microsoft suck? Microsoft owns the rights to FAT32 system. It is there system, Linux does not have a right to use it. (They do have the right to license it) TomTom should have used EXT or other file system that is Linux compatible. Why TomTom switched from a Windows CE platform to a Linux one was also a stupid move.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
My company has devices that use FAT FAT32 and NTFS and we pay for all of them. TomTom should play by the rules like everyone else.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Just had a horrible thought. Is this the beginning of M$ launching tons of lawsuits knowing that with their monopoly and money they can force and/or take down anyone in their sites especially during the current economic crisis? M$ may have or will layoff people (no one is immune in times like these) but they are one of the few companies that have the ability to weather such a storm. Perhaps they just might take advantage of this and try and destroy their competition. Just a thought, not saying it will happen.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Just had a horrible thought. Is this the beginning of M$ launching tons of lawsuits knowing that with their monopoly and money they can force and/or take down anyone in their sites especially during the current economic crisis? M$ may have or will layoff people (no one is immune in times like these) but they are one of the few companies that have the ability to weather such a storm. Perhaps they just might take advantage of this and try and destroy their competition. Just a thought, not saying it will happen.[/citation]

Perhaps a little history lesson will help here: (per wiki)
Microsoft applied for, and was granted, a series of patents for key parts of the FAT file system in the mid-1990s. Being almost universally compatible and well-understood, FAT is frequently chosen as an interchange format for flash media used in digital cameras and PDAs.

On 2003-12-03 Microsoft announced it would be offering licenses for use of its FAT specification and "associated intellectual property", at the cost of a US$0.25 royalty per unit sold, with a $250,000 maximum royalty per license agreement.[33]

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
This was probly a move by TomTom to save money and its gonna fail. MS owns the ip. They invented it so why should someone else use there work for nothing. This seems to be the real base argument. People wanting to use someone elses hardwork for free. So much anger is targeted at MS but jesus Apple makes MS look like a charity when it comes to IP. Anyone else remember when Apple tried to Trademark the letter I and the Cube?

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"So much anger is targeted at MS but jesus Apple makes MS look like a charity when it comes to IP."

You got that right. While I have no real love for M$, I have to say their OVERALL practices are far better than Apples. Apples policies and the way the do business is the worst I have ever seen, far worse than even Microsoft and will give Microsoft credit, man that hurts to say, but they did come up with one of the best if not the best gui I have ever seen. Although they do need to be cautious I do find Ubuntu the best desktop based Linux out there imo.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
FAT per se is not patented, only VFAT (FAT+LFN) and, possibly in the future, FAT32 (that's probably what is referred as "rights to FAT file system innovations for which Microsoft has filed a claim for a patent that the U.S. Patent Office has not yet granted.")

http://www.microsoft.com/iplicensing/productDetail.aspx?productTitle=FAT%20File%20System

FAT LFN implementation is a monumental idiocy... only m$ could design it.

The solution is simple: don't use LFNs.

Status
Not open for further replies.