Question Microsoft Surface 3 (RT3) abruptly shutting down

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Hey everyone,

As the title says, the tablet is shutting off unexpectedly. Troubleshooting the hardware is rather difficult on tablets. I need to know whether it will stop working or not as soon as possible. Here is the backstory:

So I have been using this Microsoft Surface 3 without touch (It fell a few years ago but the screen itself is fine) and is usually on the Surface 3 Dock.
To save the battery's capacity, I enabled Kiosk Mode whenever I am using the dock for long periods of time. The screen is just too small to be a primary computer on its own.

Yesterday during a meeting, the tablet's keyboard froze. Usually when this happens, removing and reinserting the magnetic Type Cover temporarily fixes this issue. It happens often, and I have replaced the tablet 3 times and the Type Cover once and it still occurs. Anyway, this time that did not fix it, and I had to force it to shut down. This also happens from time to time.

When I turned it back on, it lasted enough for me to go to Edge and it shut down abruptly. The screen went black, and the keys did not light up, so I assume it turned off.

When I turned it back on yet again, the battery was very low (Blinking red X on the battery icon) so I turned it off safely and used a work computer. I think it had about 15% when this happened.

That same night, I used it on the Dock for about 3 hours with no issues. Today, I used it without the Dock again and it turned off abruptly again- with about 40% left.

The battery's capacity is still good, and lasts for about 3-4 hours of normal use. Could it be having some sort of short? Since (for now) it works fine while docked, I am thinking it is a battery issue. No recent updates were made for this PC, except for minor security ones.

If this tablet is about to die on me, I need to know quickly so that I can still get a deal on a new computer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Windows 10 Home 21H1, 4GB RAM, Intel Atom, 128GB eMMC storage

Here is a screenshot of the PC Health Check:
View: https://imgur.com/a/X9IW0b9

The following is the XML of one of the two identical events from Event Viewer that was made when the issue occurred, though it doesn't help much:

- <Event xmlns=" ">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>8</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-11-26T11:04:00.7360517Z" />

<EventRecordID>15283</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>MGE-Surface-3</Computer>