Review Microsoft Surface Duo review: A beautiful tragedy

Sep 10, 2020
Being a Fold user for over a year I can say folding devices are wonderful. I'm looking forward to the Duo as it takes folding to the next level, something the Samsung will not have until the Fold S comes out.

Microsoft and Samsung are pushing Android into something very usable.

I understand that the Duo may be less then the Fold, but its offering is so much more and exciting.

Reactions: Coolcity
Sep 11, 2020
I look at it like this in cases where a truly different approach requires user testing. The reality is that there is always a small group that is willing to pay for the privilege of being the tester. I haven’t seen a foldable screen approach that brought more to the table than look at the cool thing we can do that you didn’t ask for. The 2 windows idea does offer a new way to use phones.

Mar 12, 2022
I love the Surface Duo. Software issues have been solved and you can pick them up for about $400 now. People have become so used to wanting their phones do do absolutely everything and then pouting if something isn't there. But this is a fantastic productivity/gaming/media device in your pocket and I couldn't care less if it has wireless charging or a top-of-the-line camera. I really think this review misses the mark by judging the duo largely on criteria for standard phones and not giving nearly enough credit to the value of the new form factor and the possibilities it opens.

Oct 13, 2022
I love this device too, although I didn't use it a lot at first as I found it a little too big to carry around with me all the time, more so that I expected. But you do get used to it.

This is a slightly odd review, as it seems to try to praise it then find fault with everything at the same time. The comment, "...you hold the Surface Duo, and in spite of this drab and somewhat dated motif, it feels incredibly special", is typical of this. It seems to be nit-picking in the extreme to berate the Microsoft logo. I don't think it's drab and it's not dated either - why does a brand need a new logo every 5 minutes? But that's not the point - it's completely unnecessary.

It's worth mentioning that the updates that followed each month for the three months following the review have made a huge difference, and that's something that needs to be taken into account. It is now well worth purchasing either the Duo 1 or Duo 2 if you were concerned about the bugs, which in my opinion were ridiculously overstated anyway.

Then the price is slated, before recommended the vastly more expensive Samsung folder, which is entirely missing the point. This is designed and intended as a dual screen device, not a folding screen one (the clue is in the name). It's a great concept and as with any new product early adopters do tend to be guinea pigs for the format, but in terms of usability and reliability the Duos have come on in leaps and bounds and easily justify their price tag compared with anything else on the market.

Incidentally I have no clue where you got that night shot from, mine offers infinitely better results than that. I'm considering the Duo 2 now the price has dropped.