News Microsoft Surface Studio 3: Release , price, specs and rumors

Mar 29, 2020
I too am waiting to see what happens with a possible studio 3. Must likely have i9, lightning usb. I hope it’s upgradable, a larger base to facilitate access is possible, the current base is unnecessarily small and wouldn’t hurt it’s aesthetics becoming a little bigger. It’s too pricey for pros who can afford it but actually need to stay ahead of competitors and can’t due to hardware limitations. It’s too pricey for creative hobbyists whose dollars can buy much more for much less and be able to upgrade as one saves. I like the monitor as does most who reviewed it, but the biggest complaint I saw was the outdated hardware becoming even more so year after year. Any means of upgradeability is necessary and also makes it affordable at the point of the initial purchase. Right now, $3500 itself is a lot to pay for any computer, especially for a “new” 2016 i7, is the 2020 studio3 going to repeat the self-limiting factors but at $4000?

BrianHbr549

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I was excited to see a new article about the (hopefully) up and coming Microsoft Surface Studio 3..... and then I read the non-article. I would hope your title would read, "With no information released here is our wish list". I expect better things from Tom's Hardware than clickbait. That being said I love my Surface Studio 2 and would love to see the same size screen size with 10 or 12 bit color. Samsung's new QD-OLED is probably too new to make the cut, but a guy can dream. With Thunderbolt 4 adding DMA Protection and USB 4 (which brings the potential of 20V 100W power delivery) upgradability would be greatly increased. These devices are not meant for the general public, so going safe with last years hardware just doesn't make sense.

BrianHbr549

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I too am waiting to see what happens with a possible studio 3. Must likely have i9, lightning usb. I hope it’s upgradable, a larger base to facilitate access is possible, the current base is unnecessarily small and wouldn’t hurt it’s aesthetics becoming a little bigger. It’s too pricey for pros who can afford it but actually need to stay ahead of competitors and can’t due to hardware limitations. It’s too pricey for creative hobbyists whose dollars can buy much more for much less and be able to upgrade as one saves. I like the monitor as does most who reviewed it, but the biggest complaint I saw was the outdated hardware becoming even more so year after year. Any means of upgradeability is necessary and also makes it affordable at the point of the initial purchase. Right now, $3500 itself is a lot to pay for any computer, especially for a “new” 2016 i7, is the 2020 studio3 going to repeat the self-limiting factors but at $4000?

Lightning is an outdated proprietary connection for Apple. You may have meant Thunderbolt.

Elterrible

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2014
Here’s everything we know about the Microsoft Surface Studio 3 and what we’d like to see

Microsoft Surface Studio 3: Release , price, specs and rumors : Read more

Honestly, this is the most overpriced and underpowered device in the Surface Lineup. Microsoft is Lucky that Apple didn't include Pencil and touch support on their iMac, because that would have killed this product for good.

MS needs to stop pretending they're apple and make a device where you can upgrade the RAM and Storage! On top of that, stop using Laptop parts for your desktops, or just release a surface monitor with the pen support.

Aug 8, 2022
Quote: "By Brian Westover published July 01, 2022"
---
Not too fast forward August 7th and Wallmart, advertised above as one of the two remaining sellers is out of stock, and Amazon has only two (2) Surface Studio 2 with 32GB memory RAM available in stock, both "new in the box already opened".
In other words, refunded by customers.
Perhaps device wasn't making the cut, as far as appetites of 100 billion dollar company is expected to have, but it certainly did find its nich amongst the customers.
Should Microsoft decide to proceed forward with Microsoft Surface Studio 3 its continuation will be very much thought out, no worries. However, the hurdles in its path are rather steep, and that means device is unlikely to be produced.
In fact it would probably hurt some people feelings, but, at least in short term, the trajectory of device features, such as CPU speed and designs will go downwards, and prices of devices we are used to see around one thousand dollars, arguably, accessible to majority of consumers, will catapult into area, where Surface Studio was felt with a pinch of salt, if not higher.