Microsoft Tackles Health with $199 Fitness Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
So, will it track your run independently, without having to be connected to your phone? If so, I will get one. If not, no deal.

RedJaron

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Yes, it does. MS' site says "Built-in GPS: Go running without your phone and still get your pace and distance data."

I was interested in this when MS said they'd make it as platform independent as possible. Works with every major phone and also many different health tracking apps. That's very smart IMO. They also added a few features that other cheaper bands lack while keeping the price reasonable. Definitely something I'm interested in.

NotProfit

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014
So, will it track your run independently, without having to be connected to your phone? If so, I will get one. If not, no deal.

I have to agree, if my smartphone has to be in my pocket, its a no go, but the 2nd paragraph seems to suggest it wont be required.

TNel

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014
Really nice band! I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if you could store a few MP3s then bluetooth to a headphone then that would be the only thing you need to take with you on a run.

Good work MS though.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

It needs more electrical outlets on it, sometimes I like to plug my blender in during a run to make margaritas

TNel

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014
You don't listen to music when you run? Why have GPS in the band when you will need another device to stream the music? I guess you could get a iPod Nano but why when it could all be easily done right from the watch using a microsd card or even built in 1 gb for music storage.

timf79

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
I hope MS can work with Garmin, and the other big players who make serious athletic fitness trcking gear...

RedJaron

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

It doesn't have a mSD slot because it's IP67 compliant, meaning it's water and dust resistant, and any open port is a vulnerability in that sense. And I don't think onboard memory is the solution either. Think of the BT profile requirements to support using your phone, Band, and headphones all at once. All three devices would have to support simultaneous multi-pairing. Now most phones can handle that, and of course the Band could be designed to do it. But how many BT headphones can do that? The next best thing would be a multi-point headset with two profiles that you can switch between. But if you have a regular headset ( as most are, ) you'd have to re-pair it back and forth all the time. That's not user-friendly.

I think MS is treating this like the Surface. They're presenting the hardware as something to jump-start their hardware partners. Windows tablets for the longest time were near useless and it was hard to find a good model. Then MS releases a sleek, well-designed, and powerful tablet that could go head-to-head with the iPad. Now you see Dell, Acer, Asus, and others making compelling Windows tablets where the sub-$400 market offers a lot of choice. MS is licensing the Band's technology hoping partners will take it and run with it.

KodyFarnsworth

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
I have been holding off on a FitBit or other similar fitness devices for a number of reasons. I think this has the potential to be a really great introductory product. The fact that this monitors heart-rate is going to give a much more accurate representation of activity and fitness, rather than just steps. Plus it’s a smart device with calendar, weather, and message notifications. There is a valid point that it would be nice to not need a separate device for music. However, this is Bluetooth enabled so once an app for Spotify, Pandora, etc. is developed some wireless headphones will make this the only device you need. I am getting one!

Status
Not open for further replies.