Microsoft to Announce Cell Phones on April 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

el33t

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Microsoft entering the cellphone market? Now this is going to be interesting.

But looking at the extremely competitive environment of the cell-phone market especially now with I-phones, Androids, Nexus etc. etc they better come up with something revolutionary and innovative if they want to keep up.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Last time I checked, Android is running strong and will out pace all of them, watch out Apple. I would never own a MS OS phone.

jamac666

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Why would this phone not run windows 7? The specs may not permit this but Microsott can do whatever they want!

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Recipe for FAIL:

1.) Acquire company that makes a sup-par phone with a useless, tiny screen, which only gets attention because you've given away a few hundred to celebrities while paying to host their parties.
2.) Scrape the bottom of the barrel for hardware.
3.) Install much-maligned last-generation operating system after spending millions to build-up your latest OS as the greatest.
4.) Do NOT profit.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
That top phone is really ugly. Why would they release it with Windows 6.5? I'm interested to see what Windows Phone 7 can do, but if you are going to put 6.5 on there you may as well just put Android on there.

tghunt

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
These phones are horribly ugly. I can’t imagine anyone wanting the turtle and the pure is not that great either. Since both of them have a keyboard this must be an indication that they can’t get touch technology working correctly for release.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
@el33t: Thank you for adding that MS' entry into the phone market will be "interesting" Who would have thought of that?

@Abrahm: Thank you for restating the question about W6.5 vs 7, posed in the article. Who could have remembered that since they read it way back, 30 seconds ago, before your comment?

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Apple started the revolution, others follow...

Now it created a war...

As a consumer, I hope it would be a price war.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]@el33t: Thank you for adding that MS' entry into the phone market will be "interesting" Who would have thought of that?@Abrahm: Thank you for restating the question about W6.5 vs 7, posed in the article. Who could have remembered that since they read it way back, 30 seconds ago, before your comment?[/citation]

someone's a lil ansy today, very dry humor I add.

But anywho, since the spec'd hardware were all sources of "leaked information" perhaps microsoft is building something different into them so they can support Windows Mobile 7 and they'll play on the surprise. Keep an eye out for ads.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
@superblahman123: Thank for the nod. You're right. Your comment is right on. The article has little to say because there is little known. On one hand, MS is not stupid so they should be good products, on the other hand, MS is notorious for bad hardware products (except maybe basic mice)

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
The Pure looks like any QWERTY slider, and the Turtle looks incredibly like a Palm Pre...I'm not impressed although I'm looking to see what Win7 Phone is like.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Seems to be a lot of hate about this but I think it's great. The more competition the better for us. That being said (thanks Larry David), that top phone in particular is hideous. Hopefully they'll have something else new and fancy to wow us with in a week.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
you can get a blue screen of death and red ring all at the same time now. Microsoft is not good at hardware.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Why would Microsoft release a phone without their own software on it? Microsoft is a software company, that just doesn't compute. That would be like Apple (which claims to be a hardware company) releasing OSX but letting you put it on any hardware you wanted. Ha!, that would be the day!

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]I'm interested to see what Windows Phone 7 can do, but if you are going to put 6.5 on there you may as well just put Android on there.[/citation]I suspect someone will put Android on there soon after the phone is released just to prove they could. It would be interesting to compare performance between the two on the same hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.