Microsoft: We Should've Done More, We're Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
LOL :) "Hsiao-Wuen Hon admitted that the company is somewhat slow in embracing consumer appetites. The statements reflects the company's string of "me too" products such as its Bing search engine, the Zune MP3 player, its online marketplace, and even its upcoming smartphone. The word "innovation" hasn't applied to Microsoft in a very long time."

Please find my post from few days ago when I said exactly the same thing and i got 200 negative marks from the MS Fanboys... :)
I guess Mr. Hon will get a bunch of hate mail for admitting Microsoft's shortcomings :)

megajynx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Microsoft hasn't really done anything new or innovative in nearly a decade, and the sad part is it took them this long to realize it. Yea, good call, Microsoft IS slow...

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
lol Nice Euphoria. I feel the same about MS. I do not see how this is news when one can clearly come to these conclusions by observation?

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Well it's good that they are realizing what they need to do I just hope they get their sh*t together and they bring something innovative on the table. We need stronger and better competition ...

shoota

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Sure microsoft, you haven't been too innovative, but when you hold such a large market share there are responsibilities to be looked after. smaller companies are more at liberty to specialize and innovate in a smaller product segment. Just keep working to help alleviate some of the worlds problems, the ones you can make a difference in, and continue refining the products that have made you who you are. The world is still behind you.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
@shoota: thats a lame excuse. Yes MS is big corporation, but still it has many departments that work and develop independently.
Thus Windows 7 development group has nothing to do with Zune or Zbox 360. Each of these departments have their own budgets and resources, so your excuse that MS is too big to take care of every product is lame... It's business and money and if they are not efficient enough they will lose money. That is why they have R&D to research the market, see where the demand is and develop a product that will meet that demand.
Also sometimes they need to be innovative, and take risks by producing a product that is new in the market but that will create it's own niche group of users...

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Microsoft is nothing but R&D but primarily for software products and yes they have been innovative but not to the point of saying we came out with it first because too many things we know Apple did first.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
microsoft is not a consumer company. they may make products for consumers but they are not oriented based on the needs of the consumers. this is why when "the company is somewhat slow in embracing consumer appetites", it suggest that they are not in touch with the consumers, only what they, as a company, are interested on.

look at the situation with the wii when it was first release, you had the ceo, bill gates, calling motion controls a gimmick and a fad. now we have natal. it shows that microsoft is not in touch with the public consumer.

if consumers aren't interested in upgrading to windows vista or windows 7, then why is microsoft, as a company, forcefully have their xp users switch to windows 7. it is because they aren't in touch with the idea that people don't care about the operating system but what you do as the end product on the operating system.

microsoft is not a consumer based company.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]megajynx[/nom]Microsoft hasn't really done anything new or innovative in nearly a decade, and the sad part is it took them this long to realize it. Yea, good call, Microsoft IS slow...[/citation]

Now maybe in 10 years they'll start doing something about it :p

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Microsoft is pretty innovative in the enterprise domain, they are just a bit slow in the consumer market. Google is really the only big tech company that actually seems to innovate.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Euphoria_MK[/nom]Please find my post from few days ago when I said exactly the same thing and i got 200 negative marks from the MS Fanboys... I guess Mr. Hon will get a bunch of hate mail for admitting Microsoft's shortcomings[/citation]
Not being MS fanboy, but Hon said Windows 7 and Project Natal are innovations. I would have to agree with Hon on the Project Natal part. You, however, said nothing MS does is innovative EVER. Sounds like you're just a hater.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Natal is a very cool concept. I realize that it is just thought of as an XBox 360 add on right now, but hopefully it is also being natively coded to utilize at least 6, if not 12 CPU threads.

One cool use would be the use of a virtual keyboard and mouse. No, not one of those silly laser projected things, but the computer analyzing the subtle gestures of your hands and fingers and "seeing" the virtual keyboard.

G

MS is making sure that we'll all purchase bloated operating systems way too large for our needs!
It would do well to sell a Windows framework, with upgrade patches for each different version (like eg: a server patch, a gaming patch, a media center patch, etc...), and keep the cost of a Windows down to a minimum.

G

MS has been down and out for a couple of years thats for sure but it takes a bit to admit it, Win 7 was a massive first step in getting wat the consumer wants, natal is a massive step forward in interactive entertainment, and they have released their bluetrak mice which work on any surface including glass.. damn thats an awesome mouse... So they are stepping up to the plate more recently

Status
Not open for further replies.