Microsoft Welcomes Gay, Lesbian Info on Xbox Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwoz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
So does this mean when you set you orientation to gay/lesbian the avatars look even more gay?

But seriously, the male avatars stand like women.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
"Other terms regarding relationship orientation are not allowed. In addition you may not use these terms or any other terms regarding relationship orientation to insult, harass, or any other pejorative use against other users."

why allow people to post it then? If you dont want the be insulted about your orientation dont broadcast it, that way no-one knows. If your willing to let everyone know, you should be willing to accept the flak that comes with it.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]VampyrByte[/nom]"Other terms regarding relationship orientation are not allowed. In addition you may not use these terms or any other terms regarding relationship orientation to insult, harass, or any other pejorative use against other users."why allow people to post it then? If you dont want the be insulted about your orientation dont broadcast it, that way no-one knows. If your willing to let everyone know, you should be willing to accept the flak that comes with it.[/citation]
I think it's more in reference to the content of the gamertag, for example, "GayPr1de" is now allowed while "D3ath2Gays" is not.

redux fountain

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
MS pr: We here at Microsoft want to send a clear message that our philosophy as a company is one of tolerance and understanding; to not shun others for simply being different, and to be able to foster such a community with Xbox live.

Reporter: But still no fatties?

MS pr: Still no fatties.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
How is calling non-gays straight not offensive to gays? Calling a straight person straight is like calling a gay person bent. I'm not gay and I think it's really weird to be gay, but I think they should replace the "straight" thing with hetero. Saying "straight" is almost as bad as saying "normal" ...as though a gay/bi/lesbian can't be a normal person.

Oh well, I don't have XBL anyway. I'm not a fan of PAYING extra for an inferior gaming experience.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]VampyrByte[/nom]"Other terms regarding relationship orientation are not allowed. In addition you may not use these terms or any other terms regarding relationship orientation to insult, harass, or any other pejorative use against other users."why allow people to post it then? If you dont want the be insulted about your orientation dont broadcast it, that way no-one knows. If your willing to let everyone know, you should be willing to accept the flak that comes with it.[/citation]

Wow. Really? While we are it why don't we tell black people that if they don't want to be called racist names they shouldn't broadcast that they are black. There's nothing wrong with being gay and if you have so much of a problem with homosexuality that you feel compelled to berate someone who is openly homosexual then YOU have the problem.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
[citation][nom]VampyrByte[/nom]why allow people to post it then? If you dont want the be insulted about your orientation dont broadcast it, that way no-one knows. If your willing to let everyone know, you should be willing to accept the flak that comes with it.[/citation]
If you don't want to be insulted for being an idiot you shouldn't post at all. If you're going to post stupid comments like that you should be willing to accept the flak for being a moron.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
This...is something that I don't think is exactly necessary, but hell, it's up to the user whether or not to post that kind of thing. IMHO, just another way to make things on XBL more personal. Not a bad thing, just didn't really expect this to happen

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]How is calling non-gays straight not offensive to gays? Calling a straight person straight is like calling a gay person bent. I'm not gay and I think it's really weird to be gay, but I think they should replace the "straight" thing with hetero. Saying "straight" is almost as bad as saying "normal" ...as though a gay/bi/lesbian can't be a normal person.[/citation]
You have interesting views. I admit I have thought about that a little bit, but for the most part it's a non-issue. We're not THAT sensitive, and saying that someone is straight is really quite harmless. Straight isn't necessarily normal, curvy could be normal :) . So far it's f*g and gay used in a derogatory (aka negative, insulting) manner that we're really concerned about.

Kudos to Microsoft on the policy change :)

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Ugh this is dumb.

This is another case of "nobody cares that you're gay"

Straight people don't spend all day telling you that they're straight, why should gay people feel the need to? I have nothing against gays... they can be gay all the want. I have absolutely no interest in the sex lives of my online opponents.

I say XBox Live should just allow you to say whatever you want, and then people can report the assholes. If you wanna say gay then say it. Whatever.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Why does it matter, so they can sell your info to some company that sells like minded products? You pay $50.00 a year just to be treated like a 13 year old in the eyes of MS. If they don't like your gamer tag they force you to change it whether it's offensive or not. I guess they are trying to turn it into the next My Space or Facebook more or less...

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]MxM[/nom]So, you can say bi, but not bisexual???[/citation]
It's not explicitly stated, but I would assume that they would allow bisexual, homosexual, and heterosexual to be used. It's just the more technical names vs more conversational names commonly used. Still means exactly the same thing and there isn't any negative connotation associated with it (as would be the case if someone tried to use f*g, for example).

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Does it really matter when your playing a game? I don't care to know although sometimes I wonder based on the way people play...but that's besides the fact. I don't think it's necessary and would only bring with it a wide open door for insults.

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
As someone who doesn't see shame in the gay/lesbian persuasion, I gotta ask:Why was this an issue in the first place?

G

Transgender is a sexual orientation now?
Since when?
Gender identity and sexual orientation are completely different things.
Xbox FAIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.