Microsoft: Xbox 360 Red Rings Are Behind Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Good news is now when you RROD at least it should be the last time. The bad news? 50% chance you're going to RROD if you don't have a Jasper.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Sweet, glad to hear it.

It might be a bit late in the cycle though to be dropping full price for a system that will be replaced in the not too distant future. But glad to see that they have gotten a handle on this problem.

G

I've had 3 xbox's save your money unlike me. YES! you won't get the red rings anymore. BUT...BUT... you will get a black screen w/ only sound. Same problem as the red rings BUT no red rings... Microsoft is so smart. They got us! Don't want to see the red ring error. Fine. we'll take it away. that doesn't fix the machine its just a programing update.

G

ps3 is more reliable than xbox360(or atleast was), i've gone through 3 360's and i had a playstation 3 for that same period!more money spent on xboxes than ps3 is so a rip off!

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I have a non-jasper 360 and it's been great! No problems at all. I play it all the time and its in an entertainment cabinet where it gets pretty warm. I get the feeling a lot of the sentiment regrading the quality issues is anecdotal since no one will provide actual figures on failure rates, so I can confidently say that you don't need a jasper version in order to have a reliable xbox 360!

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Guess I've been really lucky. I have a Gen1 first release 360 and have never had problems. I also have a Gen Falcon release and have had no problems with that one either.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Good news is now when you RROD at least it should be the last time. The bad news? 50% chance you're going to RROD if you don't have a Jasper.[/citation]

The model released before Jasper, the Falcon wasn't nearly as bad either. The die shrink on the CPU made it run a bit cooler and a bit less noisy. I've not had any problems with my Falcon based XBox and it doesn't get nearly as hot as the Xenon my son uses.

As to those above who bought multiple 360's, why would you buy more than one to begin with? Microsoft fixes (for free) any RROD 360's and has a good turn-around. When my son's broke down, they had it back to me in less than a week. Their box arrived on a Monday and I had it back before the weekend, at no cost. So why would you buy another one, then claim the PS3 is cheaper because you bought so many? Doesn't make sense if you can just get it fixed for free anyway...

You shouldn't have to get them fixed in the first place, MS should have used more reliable hardware.. However, I had more problems with my original PS2 (which Sony would NOT fix for free) than I've had with either mine or my son's 360. Sony is not really any better known for reliablity than MS is. /shrug I'd rather have the system which has the best line-up of games and that so far is the XBox360, in my opinion (not taking the Wii into consideration since it's in a class of it's own).

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Eccentric909[/nom]You shouldn't have to get them fixed in the first place, MS should have used more reliable hardware.[/citation]
The philosophy on commercial software has long been to release software with known bugs that are too trouble-some to fix before release, see which ones people complain about most, and fix those in the next update/service pack.

It's becoming a very common trend in hardware these days too (and not just with the XBox). Microsoft's XBox division adopted and expanded that philosophy into the hardware (overheating, disk scratching). Apple does it with batteries, monitors, etc... Why fix the problem when hopefully you can just pave over it. I mean jeese, how many millions of batteries did Sony have to recall?

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I have never had a RROD, but I have had an optical drive failure - which I hear is the second most part prone to failure. MS did the usual, sent me the box, I sent my console, and they sent me a box back stating they could not repair it so here's a new one on us basically. The only hard part for me was getting past the language barrier with the customer reps (like all other "tech support" in America is anyways). The RROD warranty is three years from date of purchase. As a company, I strongly dislike MS, but they get an A+ for the way they handled the situation. They could have just said go **** yourself like any other company has done and you sit back hoping something good comes out of a class-action suit.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]ps3xbox[/nom]ps3 is more reliable than xbox360(or atleast was), i've gone through 3 360's and i had a playstation 3 for that same period!more money spent on xboxes than ps3 is so a rip off![/citation]

I havn't had any probs with my Xbox360, only been a year.

I can confirm no issues with PS3, bought day1 for about $800 on day 1 :(

danap611

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
My Falcon Elite RRoD'd on me about two weeks ago. I bought the product replacement warranty from Best Buy, thank God - but alas, they had, I think it safe to say, no Jasper Elites in the channel (I say "I think it safe to say" because I visited ten local Best Buys in the span of two days and, um, "stretched" the serial number window on probably just short of a hundred Elite boxes).

I still have about eighteen months left of my two year replacement warranty, so I plan to keep my eye out for Jasper Elites at Best Buy - and when they show up, crossing my fingers for another RRoD. The first one was unexpected (one of the reasons I waited so long to buy the 360 in the first place) - the second one will be WELCOME. :)

jarnail24

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Got my mines the first week it came out and got one last year not one a problem. I did have a problem with the disc drive scratching some games but games still play fine.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]yea doesn't matter if it called jasper, smurf or what other crappy crash box model comes out still will not trust them. besides i have my reason for getting a PS3 now and its God of War 3[/citation]

Well, I've owned my 360 for 3 years and did have the RROD. It took 10 days to repair out of over 1000 owned. So it seems I have missed 1% of playtime due to microsoft and their lousy hardware. And to think they threw in some arcade games and 1 month gold for my troubles, what a bunch of Aholes ;p

And wait, you say you have a reason to get a PS3 now and it's GOW3? I thought that came out 12/09, seems you have a few months to wait. I will be enjoying my 360 during those months.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Its a bit late to fix that problem.every time I go to gamestop someones returning a RROD 360 , even after the holidays Red Rings still haunt people.

Status
Not open for further replies.