Microsoft's Free Antivirus Officially Named

Status
Not open for further replies.

talys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
@apache_lives:

I suspect it means "no frills"... ie, no spam detector, no web phishing detector, no firewall (beyond Windows FW), no red panic button to launch nuclear weapons, etc.

Like, the 9 items in Kaspersky that I disable (I install file & email only).

Hopefully, "basic" includes a checkbox for "Disable startup scan", which I absolutely detest on notebooks.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
[citation][nom]tonythetiger[/nom]I smell another EU fine for packaging antivirus[/citation]

That was my first thought too. EU really pisses me off.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Derek2006[/nom]That was my first thought too. EU really pisses me off.[/citation]
Well whats next, microsoft packaging a shell into windows? How will you get to pick what shell you want to run if microsoft sticks it right into the OS!!?

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
This is messed up. The whole point of buying Windows is that it's supposed to be secure in the first place. Third party apps exist because of failings in Windows. Now instead of fixing their OS, now they want to join this band-wagon. OMG whatever next?!

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
I think making MSE an opt in product that you can download and install at will, will make it safe with the EU, it’s not like M$ is forcing it on you.

To mman74, M$ releases updates for it’s OS’s on a regular basis to fix problems that are found in Windows, which is something the competition is a little lax on to say the least. It’s also not Microsoft’s problem if you browse questionable websites and click on every link to download silly little flash games or whatever, that turn out to be viruses, trojans etc, that’s where antivirus software comes in.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Derek2006[/nom]That was my first thought too. EU really pisses me off.[/citation]

Learn to read properly:
The report also indicates that MSE will be available as a standalone download for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

If you can't extract a conclusion from this then you're hopeless

har_boed

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I dont really see any problem microsoft bundling lot's of stuff. Because all of other OS do the same thing anyway. But only microsoft get sued. Apple bundled safari, Linuxes bundled Firefox. And anyway what is an OS without a browser. And that also applies to security, it's good that microsoft give extra effort to give user security with free anti virus.

When you buy a house, you will get a standard lock, but I guess you are free to change the lock and gives extra security.

But why no one sued apple when they launch iPhone with safari pre-installed and you can't install any other else :(

I don't mind I can't uninstall IE, but I can install something else, but what apple did to iPhone just horrible...

Well.. I know it's not fair comparing a mobile phone and a computer..

G

Soon will be as good as IE6.x vs Firefox. Netscape (ie, Kaspersky and the likes) will be the victims.
MS aquired RAV a long time ago (more than 2 years), which was a very good antivirus and a finished software product. No update and no new software since then. So, nobody really cares about that, just a new thing "for free" to continue to buy their buggy (as in faulty) product.

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]sublifer[/nom]They should change it to Microsoft Essential Security so we can call it MES (mess)[/citation]
or even better, call it Microsoft Essential Security Software -> MESS :D

squidrott

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Not sure who Janice Chaffin is referring to with "A full Internet security suite is what consumers require today to stay fully protected.". Those full suites are why I try to avoid installing antivirus software.

I shudder to think I might be condoning MS's venture into virus scanning, but if it has a small footprint and is a basic virus scanner (with options), I might just go with it. Free and efficient is always welcome. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.