Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I cant help but think of Austin Powers saying, "Why won't you die?!"
Maybe things will work out better with a second go-around, who knows

G

I have to say I was SOOOOOOO excited for these when I first heard about them! I wanted on soooooo bad. I was on AT&T at the time. When I first was on AT&T my whole family was going to get iPhones, but the $30 data per phone would have doubled our bill! Well then i saw this and loved it! But then I saw the data plan was required for this too! So I said no point in this, might as well get an iPhone or Droid! Now that I'm older my parents (who decided they don't want smartphones) said I could have a smartphone on Verizon! And now that I'm going to get an iPad all I need my phone for is social networking and texting/calling. But I figure I might as well get a Samsung Fascinate. My little sister might like a KIN TWO though.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
If they sell them at dumbphone prices and with dumbphone contracts, I'd actually find them appealing. Pricing them like smartphones was a dumb move the first time.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]If they sell them at dumbphone prices and with dumbphone contracts, I'd actually find them appealing. Pricing them like smartphones was a dumb move the first time.[/citation]It wasn't the pricing on the phones, contracts make phones cheap. It was the outrageous data plan Verizon tossed on them - it cost as much monthly as a full-on smartphone. But if the data rate is something like $15/month, these are a lot more appealing. Their cloud and social network integration is pretty neat, if you're into that sort of thing. It's not for me, though.

Anandtech actually had a good writeup about them a while back. I think with the right marketing and affordable plans, these would be decent phones for anyone who doesn't need a smartphone, but still wants quick access to twitter, facebook, et al.

suoeno

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]If they sell them at dumbphone prices and with dumbphone contracts, I'd actually find them appealing. Pricing them like smartphones was a dumb move the first time.[/citation]
Agreed.Plus only that through dumbphone prices AND data plans will I see the logic (if any) and some shades of a game plan behind this.Anything other than that well let's just call this an unnecessary desperate act.

Previous sales data was the death of Kin FCOL.MS are at a stage where they need to single track WP7 brutally that this act are beyond weird.Unless if MS are doing Nokia's playbook = juggle 2 separate mobile initiatives.

Not a good idea.

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
This phone was not viable as a smartphone, especially when priced as such, but as a messaging phone, and with the new price point, I would be interested. That is, if I wasn't already addicted to Android.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Why do the spammers think tech nerds would be at all attracted to online clothing and fashion stores? There is a plethora of other things they could offer that would be more likely to get clicks than what they advertise now.. Oh well, I suppose I cannot expect much intelligence from an illegitimate marketing person who is unable to properly use the language of his or her target market.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
@ webbwbb

Because some of us actually like things other than tech. Now I wouldn't click on those kinda links cause it's either some kinda spyware filled site of the clothes they are selling are knockoffs. However IF (thats a BIG if) they were spamming legit sites that sold legit fashion items (Jordans, Timbs, Roca-wear, etc.) I'd click on it.

I'm a tech nerd, and like know whats what in the world of tech but I also like to look fly when I go out and about. Maybe the spammers realize not all us tech nerds are in front of the monitor 24/7. Although it is more likely they just hit any and all sites with lots of traffic and hope something sticks.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]@ webbwbbBecause some of us actually like things other than tech.[/citation]

Agreed but I doubt many of us have much of an interest in any single topic that is outside the general stereotype that is placed on most tech nerds. I was not saying that no one here would be interested in that, such a statement would be ignorant, what I was saying is that it makes little to no sense for them to choose such topics. You are into fashionable clothing items while I could care less about most trends. I play a lot of different instruments and mix sound while there is another person who is likely annoyed by that thought. I can guarantee that people would at least take notice if someone said something along the lines of 'new site better than newegg!'.

I am very likely over analyzing this but part of my job involves marketing so I tend to pay a lot of attention to most things along those lines and analyze weak and strong points in them.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
@webbwbb

I really think you're underestimating people's interest in other things. I think if they spammed "real in depth football analysis" or "get info on big upcoming movies" I think those titles will get as many hits as "new site better than newegg" even here on a tech nerd site (if you assumed they were trustworthy).

You don't have much faith in people I see. The "nerd stereotypes interests" are comics, manga/anime, sci fi, tech, any breathing female" but i'm sure that vast majority on people have high levels of interest in things that don't come close to those.

I got some friends I met in school who should all be working at nasa or something because they that on point with computers and tech in general but they spend just as much time talkin about why the Miami dolphins suck and the heat are overrated.

Some of them are females and when you get them together they go on and on about shoes and what outfits match and what don't. Ten mins later they talkin about why macs suck vs. pc or vice versa.

Tech nerds have varied interests just like everybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.