Microsoft's YouTube Channel Got Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
so microsoft stole from a youtube user. what else is new? :p
okay it was youtube's fault mostly. but why didn't they set the credentials right? may be google wanted microsoft to get hassled because of the android patent war.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
If the person who did this was indeed the previous account holder and if their login still worked then I hardly see this as a act of hacking. I also certainly cannot support the previous account holder's actions as it was obvious that they would lose the account due to the use of the name alone at some point.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
You guys realize this has jack to do with the cloud right? Nevermind. You already know this is a completely separate auth system used by consumers. It's still popular to bash MS almost a decade after they got their crap together and most people stopped wearing mullets.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]so microsoft stole from a youtube user. what else is new? okay it was youtube's fault mostly. but why didn't they set the credentials right? may be google wanted microsoft to get hassled because of the android patent war.[/citation]
Maybe the account was still tied to the user's email address that it was created with?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]You guys realize this has jack to do with the cloud right? Nevermind. You already know this is a completely separate auth system used by consumers. It's still popular to bash MS almost a decade after they got their crap together and most people stopped wearing mullets.[/citation]
You do realize that if this happened with YouTube it can happen to the cloud too right? One oversight and people lose access to their account or lose their stuff, so while this isn't the "cloud" it is still a concern since these are the companies that will control the cloud and all it's data.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]dstigue[/nom]What you can comment in Tom's Guide now.. What a world what a world!![/citation]
It seems that if I login here I still have to login again at tomshardware. Odd...

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Lan[/nom]Heh. And people wonder why I'm so anal about using the cloud for my personal shit?[/citation]
There's nothing to worry about - just put all your files in a bunch of 7-zip AES-256 encrypted files and upload it to the cloud (use file splitting if needed), and that way if your HDD crashes and you don't have a backup onsite or your house is wiped out at least you still have the files online. That's what I do with my important documents.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I find it hard to believe that the previous owner simply logged into his/her old account. Google would have taken care of this before they handed control over to Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.