News Millions of iPhones, TVs and other devices could go offline next week — here's why

Aug 27, 2021
So nobody is able to renew that root certificate? Or corporations don’t want to do so, would rather everyone have to upgrade their devices and appliances?

PaulWagenseil

Prominent
Mar 27, 2020
None of these certificates are designed to last forever. There are three or four levels of certificates, and root certs are the longest-lasting. I believe the one that's expiring soon, DST Root CA X3, dates from 2001, so it's had a 20-year run. Likewise, ISRG Root X1, self-signed or not, was born in 2015 and is good until 2035.

Sep 25, 2021
Is this verified information? I contacted Samsung about my 2015 smart tv when I found out my tv can't be updated. They told me this certificate expiration issue has not been verified by Samsung & not to worry about it.

PaulWagenseil

Prominent
Mar 27, 2020
Is this verified information? I contacted Samsung about my 2015 smart tv when I found out my tv can't be updated. They told me this certificate expiration issue has not been verified by Samsung & not to worry about it.
I'm not sure what you mean by "verified." It's a real issue. The problem is that, as the story says, we don't know exactly which or how many devices will be affected.