Mind-controlled Prosthetic Arm Ready for Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Real life lightsaber battles are now less life altering!

Jokes aside, this is amazing technology and it is incredibly exciting to see such devices coming to market. Seeing human innovation pull off what were once only found in science fiction makes the future extremely exciting. I can't wait to see what else people can do.

bennyt

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
So can the arm be controlled remotely? You could have some great Evil Dead II moments. Arm crawling across the floor by its finger tips, giving the finger while resting on the lounge, feeling up someones leg. Lots of chuckles to be had.

Except for the fact you are missing an arm...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
soon they will be able to connect the nerve endings to the receivers in the prosthesis itself, without the need to transplant the nerves first to some other viable muscle groups. At that point, the future of prosthetic limbs will be limitless.

hurbt

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]I'm glad something good is finally happening, something that could benefit normal people.[/citation]

What a bleak and depressing world you must live in...

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I hope this new arms be just a beginning for this technology, lets hope the price would be reachable for as many people as possible, lousing an arm, or both in his case must be something difficult to stand.

G

regarding "bleak and depressing", vs "nice.. rich ass world"
I guess it all depends on your priorities and your bank acct.
Although I am securely in the ranks of "fans of human technology",
I am also cognizant of the realities of application: those with
huge bank accounts, or slick lawyers, or fat insurance companies
can of course afford these blessings. Most of the rest of us
cannot. "tough shit", for us. misinterpret me not, I am happy,
truly, for anyone who can benefit from human technology in this
way. My best friend lost his legs beneath a train,
and I know the horror. I turniq'd his "stumps" and carried him
to help on my back. His knees were saved, and I thanked God.. he
could walk on prostheses (the old-fashioned kind) after months of
therapy. But I feel human greed and human overpopulation will
always stand in the way of human love and human beneficence.
Hence, I place no faith in it personally. My faith is elsewhere.

rick2689

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
"In 2006, Christian Kandlbauerwas electrocuted by 20,000 volts."

Strange last name.... Kandlebauerwas...Or is it Kandlebauer? There's a space bar nearby. :)

lapalm

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
[citation][nom]nbrane[/nom]regarding "bleak and depressing", vs "nice.. rich ass world"I guess it all depends on your priorities and your bank acct.Although I am securely in the ranks of "fans of human technology",I am also cognizant of the realities of application: those withhuge bank accounts, or slick lawyers, or fat insurance companiescan of course afford these blessings. Most of the rest of uscannot. "tough shit", for us. misinterpret me not, I am happy,truly, for anyone who can benefit from human technology in thisway. My best friend lost his legs beneath a train,and I know the horror. I turniq'd his "stumps" and carried himto help on my back. His knees were saved, and I thanked God.. hecould walk on prostheses (the old-fashioned kind) after months oftherapy. But I feel human greed and human overpopulation willalways stand in the way of human love and human beneficence.Hence, I place no faith in it personally. My faith is elsewhere.[/citation]

I guess social security (public health care, etc) ain't that bad after all... As it gets democratized and proven efficient for many cases, I'm sure that is something we (Canadians) can expect to be offered, regardless of our bank account.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Looks like a necessary step has been made to make sci-fi into sci-fact. Now the mech-augs in Deus Ex don't seem so far fetched. Still the technology probably has obvious limitations; I'll bet the extremity has to be recharged. Also if the connection to the robotic arm is of a modular fashion then it could be swapped for an upgrade rather easily. One day he could be packing an arm equipped with a ___________. Ah the possibilities for human physical advancement!

Seriously, though, having an arm when before you had none is a good thing. Don't know how I'd feel if they perverted this technology to replace working extremities for upgraded ones, though.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]soon they will be able to connect the nerve endings to the receivers in the prosthesis itself, without the need to transplant the nerves first to some other viable muscle groups. At that point, the future of prosthetic limbs will be limitless.[/citation]
Cool! I need one to whip my ass.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
The mind controlled prosthetics are great, but wouldn't it be better with cars just to let them be controlled directly? I mean everybody could benefit from that. And with constant brain monitoring and some basic automation cars of people who fall asleep behind the wheel could theoretically part themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.