Question Minecraft causing other programs to lag

Aug 23, 2019
So I have a multi monitor setup on my PC. I usually pull up youtube while playing minecraft to get some background noise and make the monotonous things like building less boring. Recently, though, whenever minecraft is focused, it causes all other windows to lag. YouTube videos will drop tons of frames and then suddenly stop. Sometimes apps just straight up crash. I've tried to see if it's just chrome, because it eats through RAM like candy, but even trying Edge (non chromium based) and Firefox, I still have the problem. I've also tried using vanilla and optifine versions of the game and nothing works. Minecraft itself runs perfectly fine, in fact before having this issue I could comfortably use shaders with a high render distance. I've since turned them off in the process of troubleshooting, to no avail, and I tried cranking the settings down all the way, with the same effect. I'm really stumped here, I don't know what's going on. It could be worth mentioning that minimizing minecraft brings everything back to normal, but when I bring it back up, it starts to lag again. I have 8 GB of RAM allocated to minecraft in both vanilla and optifine clients. I have all my monitors plugged into the same GPU

Relevant specs (I made my PC a couple years ago):
Intel Core i7 6700
NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16 GB DDR4 RAM
SSD

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Apps General Discussion 1
B Apps General Discussion 2
S Apps General Discussion 1
C Apps General Discussion 2
I Apps General Discussion 1
H Apps General Discussion 1