Ummmmm

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
I know this has already been answered before multiple times, but I think I might have found a solution. Granted it would probably be about 2 inches thick if not more.. but the desktop replacement laptops that are out already are comparable to that. Everything I have looked up to be low profile, has been under 2 inches, that includes ram, cpu cooler, gpu, and even the I/O shield. That only leaves power. I found a 500W pico psu. Is there a way to connect two laptop batteries together or something... and connect that to the psu as well.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-X7-ATX-400-400W-High-Power-24PIN-DC-ATX-Power-Supply/211500_747813627.html

Solution
If your "mini ITX" box will need 500W to work, this translates to about 40 amps at 12 volts - I will leave to you to figure out how thick that power cable should be...
Then (if one believes this article), Li-Ion batteries have energy density of max 265Wh/kg. That is - if you need 500watts, you will have to carry two kilograms of the best Li-Ion batteries avaialable for every hour of operation.

Ummmmm

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
Well I tried to post the link again, but it still didn't work. If you want it is the first thing that comes up on google when you type "500w pico power supply" is it. This was just an idea, I don't expect it to work on batteries. I am by no means a laptop expert, I am more familiar with desktops.

There are motherboards designed for external power supplies (power-brick with about 20V), and internal DC-to-ATX power converter. But even if you are able to power your contraption with laptop batteries, how you are going to recharge them? This is non-trivial task...
If you go that route - you will probably have better luck with off-the-shelf Li-Ion battery packs (like ones used in RC cars / planes).

Ummmmm

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
Would R/C batteries last longer than 2 minutes? I don't know if that would work... and I meant full mini itx not slim all in one motherboards, they usually only come with pcie 4x. I figured i could make that pico psu into an external power brick. I thought 500w would be enough to power full mini itx. And I still don't know how to connect the batteries to the powwer supply. Ill do more research on R/C batteries though.

If your "mini ITX" box will need 500W to work, this translates to about 40 amps at 12 volts - I will leave to you to figure out how thick that power cable should be...
Then (if one believes this article), Li-Ion batteries have energy density of max 265Wh/kg. That is - if you need 500watts, you will have to carry two kilograms of the best Li-Ion batteries avaialable for every hour of operation.

Solution

Ummmmm

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
So if I wanted acceptable battery life, then I would have at least 6 Kilograms (Roughly 13 pounds) in batteries... And that's not including all of the other parts. Again, I was just curious if it was possible, I knew there was probably some problem that would come up. There are many other solutions that would do fine I guess...