Minimalist Wireless Set Up?

marzipan71

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Hi All - I'm building my living room system out slowly. So far I have a nice Samsung 46" TV, and I just bought a Denon AVRX3000 which seemed to offer most flexibility in set up. I also just bought a WD 3TB My Cloud NAS to house all my MP3's. My intention is to use the Denon for audio, accessing the NAS and Spotify, and also to provide some upgrade to my TV sound. I also have a laptop permanently attached to the TV for some TV watching, and a Roku for Netflix etc.

I'm much more interested in quality audio for music listening (e.g., classical music and jazz) than bassy oomph for movies. So the tricky part - I don't want wired speakers, and my room configuration won't allow for rear speakers at all as we're open plan - but I might get away with small wall-mounted, wireless rears. What kind of speaker configuration would you recommend? I was thinking powered bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer to start with. If so, any recommendations? Budget for the speakers is around $500.

Thanks!

Solution
Indoor wireless speakers all need to be plugged into AC for power and so aren't really wireless. You will also be wasting the amps in the receiver as you won't be using them for powered speakers. If your budget for the speakers and receiver was only about $1200 you would have done better with a less expensive receiver and more for speakers. Why do you need wireless for the fronts?
If you are looking for quality for music you could get a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitors(non powerered) or Shift A2 (powered). These are in your price range.
Indoor wireless speakers all need to be plugged into AC for power and so aren't really wireless. You will also be wasting the amps in the receiver as you won't be using them for powered speakers. If your budget for the speakers and receiver was only about $1200 you would have done better with a less expensive receiver and more for speakers. Why do you need wireless for the fronts?
If you are looking for quality for music you could get a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitors(non powerered) or Shift A2 (powered). These are in your price range.

Solution

marzipan71

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Hmmm thanks for your answer and good point about the powered speakers! So the receiver I got a great deal on Amazon and it was only $500. My plan is to maybe put together a home theater room elsewhere in the house at a later date, at which point I'd move the receiver to that set up and can go for the full 7.1 solution. But for now it'll just sit at the heart of the set up I described.

I was thinking wireless for the fronts as I have an awkward room configuration. Idea was to move the speakers into place when I need them, then put them away on a bookshelf (one wall of the room is lined with bookcases) when they're not being used. My wife doesn't want floor standing speakers which are all that would really work (lots of windows on the right hand side of the room). So portability of the speakers is a factor, hence I was going for wireless. I have plenty of AC outlets around the room so that's not an issue.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply and I'll take a look at the recommendations.