Minor issue with HDMI: Is it the cable?

schmenge

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
JVC DLP TV (JVCHD-56G786) and LG Blu-ray DVD (BD-570). The LG just replaced a Samsung DVD player. Let me start with the Samsung.

Every now and then when putting a DVD in I would get a solid green screen on the TV rather than a picture. Most of the time if this happened (not common occurance) it would be like the DVD player was "sputtering" trying to "connect" the to TV. The screen may flash a couple of times and I could hear some "crackling" like loud static. Once I got to a picture all would be fine. Very rarely the only way to get to a picture would be to eject the DVD and start again. All in all not very common and not enough of an issue to try and track down the problem.

The other day I replaced the Samsung with the LG. Very similar problem (although a purplish screen rather than green) and much more common. More often than not. In this case though the movie will sometimes start and the picutre will have a purplish tint to it. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV and plug it back in the pciture will be fine for the duration of the movie.

While I can fix the problem, not very wife friendly, so I need to figure out what is going on. :) It would seem like it has to be the cable or the TV itself. But I would think in either case the issue would persist during the movie and not just when starting up.

Any ideas? I could just get a new cable but wanted to see what others thought first.

mrtired

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
JVC also has an intrusion detection sensor on the jack panel. Can't shine a flashlight at it or it will disable the HDMI port (shows green). Normally, you'd reset the control for that by hitting SLEEP so the time reads 0 min and simultaneously hit DISPLAY and VIDEO STATUS. It will call up the service menu. Chances are, it will show a fault on HDMI, or read NG. Power off the tv, unplug it. The port should come back when you power it on.

Or check your cable.

schmenge

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Hmm... missed this suggestion. Anyways, the new cable arrived today and did not resolve the issue so that leaves the TV. :( I would think if the port were disabled I would get nothing, but I do get a picture, just with a purplish hue. Unplug the cable and plug it back in and all is fine, which seems odd to me.

I did try entering setup. The "code" after HDMI is "NG9." I unplugged the TV, powered back on and checked again and still NG9. I assume this code is "good." As i said the port seems to work but is flaky about the whole thing.

The bummer is that this has existed since the day I got the TV (same time as the new DVD player) but the issue was so minor, and I never thought it was the TV, that I never did anything about it. :(

TRENDING THREADS