Missing Hard Disk Drive

Apr 20, 2018
I recently purchased a new MSI gaming laptops with solely gaming purposes in mind, however I quickly ran into storage issues. By talking to a friend I figured out that I was only using the 256GB SSD and that I couldn't access or even find the 1TB HDD my laptop was supposed to come with. I've tried looking in Disk Management and Device Manager and the only disk Disk Management shows is (Disk 0 partition 1) with 300MB of total space, (Disk 0 partition 4) with 900MB of total space, and Windows (C: ) with 237.18GB of total space. The status on all of them reads as healthy and rescanning disks and refreshing has no effect. I was wondering if I might be missing something or if there was anything else I could try. Any information at all would be helpful. My laptop model is GS63VR Stealth Pro-252.

Apr 20, 2018

It for sure was supposed to come with the 1TB HDD, everything from the packaging down to the specs on the laptop itself say so. This might sound dumb though, but I don't know where I'm supposed to be looking for the drive bays. I think though that means I'm gonna have to open it up by hand and have a look inside. I won't be able to do that today however because I have work, but if I'm wrong about having to open it, please let me know as I'd rather not have to or at least I'd like to know what I'm looking for if I do.

Just a quick note that i face this issue before but not with msi though.suppose to come with an additional hdd but did not receive a unit with one.where did u buy it from?u have to open the entire bottom panel to access it.be careful not to break the panel clip.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes. Visual inspection.
It might be in there, but disconnected somehow.

funny thing happen with my colleague.the same msi model,came with the hdd but not detected.turns out msi forgot the sata connector XD.the hdd is sitting in the drive bay with no connector.

Apr 20, 2018

I bought it from Best Buy during a Black Friday sale last year, I just didn't realize there was a memory issue until now. I'll try having a look inside before work tomorrow but I may just end up taking it in to Best Buy on my next day off.